Beam converters

Old July 14th 03, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ken L

Default Beam converters

Has anyone used the beam converters on the new type headlamps with the clear
lenses for driving in France ?
Alternatively, does anyone know where to tape off the headlights on the new
type Mondeo ?

regards ... ken

Old July 15th 03, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

"Ken L" wrote in message
Has anyone used the beam converters on the new type headlamps with the

clear
lenses for driving in France ?
Alternatively, does anyone know where to tape off the headlights on the

new
type Mondeo ?

Ken

Do you mean the clear teardrop shaped ones? If so I use them but I rarely
drive at night on the continent so not sure how effective they are.

Old July 15th 03, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Derek

I had a Peugeot and they were the same type but you had to buy the lense
protectors as they had markings on them to place specialy provided
convertors which were different to the one you buy in the shops and very
expensive. Derek

Old July 15th 03, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"Ken L" wrote in message
Has anyone used the beam converters on the new type headlamps with the

clear
lenses for driving in France ?
Alternatively, does anyone know where to tape off the headlights on the

new
type Mondeo ?

regards ... ken

Ken,
You can get away with a bit of plastic insulation tape get a piece of
cardboard about 2,5 x 1,5 inches cut it so it is pear shaped and put you
head light to dipped and experiment by putting it an various positions until
you blank off the UK near side which causes glare on the continent. Cover
the head lamp your not working on and project the beam onto your garage
doors or a wall say 10 foot away, or ask a friend to see when the glare is
defeated having estabished the postion mark it with marker pen and stick
plastic insulaton tap on the area selected.
Mike

Old July 15th 03, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

"Ken L" wrote in message
Has anyone used the beam converters on the new type headlamps with the

clear
lenses for driving in France ?
Alternatively, does anyone know where to tape off the headlights on the

new
type Mondeo ?

regards ... ken

I had a similar problem on a '96 Daewoo Espero I owned a few years ago. The
solution was to buy Daewoo headlamp protectors that clipped onto the front
of the headlights and masked off the relevant area.

Old July 15th 03, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian McFarlane

"Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message
"Ken L" wrote in message
Has anyone used the beam converters on the new type headlamps with the

clear
lenses for driving in France ?
Alternatively, does anyone know where to tape off the headlights on the

new
type Mondeo ?

regards ... ken

I had a similar problem on a '96 Daewoo Espero I owned a few years ago.

The
solution was to buy Daewoo headlamp protectors that clipped onto the front
of the headlights and masked off the relevant area.

Questions along this theme appeared in the July/August issue of Motoring &
Leisure (the magazine of the Civil Service Motoring Association) and the
editor wrote "Under EC legislation introduced two years ago, drivers only
need to fit beam deflectors if their stay in Eurpoe is going to be for
longer than 90 days." Whilst it doesn't solve the problem of where to fit
them it does mean you are not obliged to do so for a short holiday. I had
already been to France this year when I read this. I have changed my car
since last year and I have totally clear glass (plastic?) with no markings.
I used some of the oval shaped deflectors stuck directly on front of the
main bulb. The double side tape that holds then on stuck much better to the
headlamps than it did to the beam deflectors and they only just stayed on.
It was a pain reemoving the tape from the headlights though. I tend not to
drive too much at night whilst on holiday so next year I shall not even
attempt to fit the beam deflectors but just use the headlamp adjuster to
lower the position.

Ian

Old July 16th 03, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Perren

If you buy beam deflectors from Halfords they enclose a leaflet which
describes exactly how to trim and fit the deflector.

Old July 16th 03, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"Mike" wrote in message

"Ian McFarlane" wrote in message

snip

Questions along this theme appeared in the July/August issue of Motoring

&
Leisure (the magazine of the Civil Service Motoring Association) and the
editor wrote "Under EC legislation introduced two years ago, drivers

only
need to fit beam deflectors if their stay in Eurpoe is going to be for
longer than 90 days."

Sorry to be a pain but I could not find the artical you refere to. Could

you
please tell me what page its on?
TIA
Mike

Don't fit beam converters unless you are legally required to. French and
Belgian road markings are so poor that at night you need every lumen you can
muster to follow them at night and it gets 100% worse when it is raining.

I suspect beam converters and gas discharge lights may be incompatible

Old July 17th 03, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"Ken L" wrote in message
Has anyone used the beam converters on the new type headlamps with the

clear
lenses for driving in France ?
Alternatively, does anyone know where to tape off the headlights on the

new
type Mondeo ?

regards ... ken
Re beam converters look at the following sites for info on Beam Converters

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...720180,00.html ,
http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/ov...equipment.html
,http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ma...lements/France
/etfrance23.xml . This one has advice on beam converters and all these
current posting on the these web sites are either this month or last.
Unless the regulations have changed in the last week or so, I would fit them
it does not make any sense blinding others on the road with a lack
understanding or arrogance and could be the cause of lossof life maybe
yours.
Mike