Breakdown cover + anything else I've forgotten

Old July 15th 03, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

Default Breakdown cover + anything else I've forgotten

"Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message
We take delivery of our caravan in little more than a week now. I'm quite
sure that I've forgotten hundreds of practical things.

One query I have is with regards to breakdown cover, recovery etc. I have
breakdown cover on my car with Direct Line. Do I need to take out a
separate recovery policy for the caravan, or is it possible to extend the
car policy to cover the caravan? If the former - what are the best bets
(I'm a member of the C&CC if that makes any difference).

What else on the practical point of view might I have forgotten? I have
mirrors, the caravan comes with awning, wastemaster, water, etc. I will
insure the caravan, notify my car insurers, etc

All help gratefully received - thank you in advance!

YES YES YES !!! One way or another get the van covered !
True story follows.....three weeks ago a rather naive member of my family
went to Brittany where a tree fell onto their car crushing the roof,
collapsing the suspension and leaving them stranded. Luckily, the branches
of the tree only scraped the side of the van so they escaped unhurt. Site
owners in France were superb about it all - and couldn't have done more to
help out. Even offered to go and get them a new car !!!!!! (obviously making
too much money over there!)
Their insurance company delivered them a new car (without a tow bar) so all
was OK until they realised that they couldn't get the van home. *Never mind
we took the recovery insurance* they said.......BUT ONLY FOR THE CAR !!

Long story short, if they were stuck they would have had the car put onto a
lorry and brought back to England. Instead - they travelled from Brittany to
Cherbourg in their hire car. Ferry back to Portsmouth.....another hire car
from Portsmouth back up to the midlands to collect their other car (with tow
bar) to go back to Brittany to fetch their stranded caravan. They got back
yesterday and are rather peeed with the whole saga.

Moral of the story is....save 30 quid now and cost yourself about 400 later.

We have the CC *Green Flag* comprehensive cover which is pretty good for
this country travel (outside 1 mile from my home address), and we take CC
Pennant cover when we go abroad. There are lots of similar things around,
but I guess it's a case of shopping around. Speak to Direct Line - I think
they do offer cover for the complete outfit.

Cheers

Steve

Old July 16th 03, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"David" wrote in message

"Leyland_Leopard" wrote in message

I had an e-mail from Direct Line today. Essentially, they will come out

the caravan for a puncture if we are carrying a spare. They will

recover
the caravan if the car breaks down. However, they can only recover the
caravan if the vehicle they send is able to do so - hence they cannot
guarantee this service.

In my previous reply I told you I had been recovered twice by Saga/Green
Flag. Green Flag is Direct Line.

The first time my car broke the afternoon before I was due to come home

the
Green Flag agent came out and recovered me to the caravan site. What time
tommorrow do you wish to go home? 11am, at 11am the recovery truck came,
car put on truck and caravan towed behind.

The second time was a caravan tyre puncture. The recovery truck had

several
wheels tyres/wheels on it and one was fitted to my caravan and then I was
escorted to the nearest quick fit type dealer.

I had no trouble with Green Flag over the years with my caravan.
Do not think you have anything to worry about.
Of course if the agent only as one large recovery truck, ie the type that
car or caravan is put on, and it is in use you have to wait for it.

The point is still that you must read the small print. They may go above
and beyond their committment if you're in the UK and they're not
particularly busy. OTOH if you're stuck in some far flung corner of
Portugal, they're busy, the local breakdown outfit is hard to liaise with
and you don't strictly qualify for assistance you may well not get it. I've
yet to find cover better than the RAC via CCC, it has very few restrictions.
Take for example this condition from the Directline website; "[the vehicle
must] be serviced as recommended by the manufacturer". Could you prove your
vehicle has been serviced to this standard (ie have all records with you)
whilst stuck at the side of a French autoroute? I couldn't.

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 16th 03, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Andy R" wrote in message

I've
yet to find cover better than the RAC via CCC, it has very few

restrictions.

Yes I will agree that in Europe that any contact may have its greater
difficulties.

Years and years ago I was with the RAC scheme for the car and started
caravanning. The RAC told me if my car needed recovery they would not
recover the caravan. It would be left safe, what ever that meant, and when
my car repaired I would have to return for my caravan.

Hope thing have changed.

So I went with National Breakdown, which became Green Flag and maybe
starting to be called Direct Line who bought it.

Any way for years now been with Green Flag and happy with them.

A tip join via your car insurance company, I pay allmost half than direct
with DL.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 16th 03, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"David" wrote in message

"Andy R" wrote in message

I've
yet to find cover better than the RAC via CCC, it has very few

restrictions.

Yes I will agree that in Europe that any contact may have its greater
difficulties.

Years and years ago I was with the RAC scheme for the car and started
caravanning. The RAC told me if my car needed recovery they would not
recover the caravan. It would be left safe, what ever that meant, and

when
my car repaired I would have to return for my caravan.

Hope thing have changed.

That's why going via CCC to join makes the difference, they remove the
weight, length and width restrictions (or at least enough to carry most
campers and caravans) and will recover caravans.

So I went with National Breakdown, which became Green Flag and maybe
starting to be called Direct Line who bought it.

Any way for years now been with Green Flag and happy with them.

A tip join via your car insurance company, I pay allmost half than direct
with DL.

I've seen this but there are still too many restrictions to rely on having
the caravan picked up if it dies.

Rgds

Andy R