Forestry Commission Sites.

Old July 15th 03, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve W...

Default Forestry Commission Sites.

Last weekend I made a booking online for two nights for next weekend at
the Ashurst New Forest site in Hampshire, yesterday I received a bulk e.mail
addressed to myself & many others who I presume had also attempted to book
informing us that they only except bookings for 3 nights or more. Yet on
their website & in their brochure they clearly state that 2 nights is the
minimum unless its a bank holiday weekend or on the Hollands Wood site .

Has anybody else experienced this kind of problem with these idiots before?

I e.mailed them last night but so far they have declined to reply, I will
telephone them on Thursday when I am off work & post what they have to say.

Steve...

Old July 16th 03, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve W...

"Eric Clarke" wrote in message
I suppose if you're going to call them idiots.................
Eric

Point ?

Old July 18th 03, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike Draper

They haven't really got their act together. On one occasion I called
in to the site office while on a business trip & booked a pitch for
the following weekend (2 nights). When I arrived with the van they
told me that I couldn't have made a booking because their rules didn't
allow it. It was only when I showed them the receipt and made a fuss
about them failing to honour a contract, etc. that they let me stay.

BTW, the FC charge ridiculous rates for pup tents - about 8/night,
IIRC - we ended up putting the tent up in the awning.

Oh - and the Ashurst site particularly gets extemely busy at times.

Mike

(remove socks to reply)

Old July 18th 03, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bryan Bellis

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:26:33 +0000 (UTC), Mike Draper
wrote:

They haven't really got their act together. On one occasion I called
in to the site office while on a business trip & booked a pitch for
the following weekend (2 nights). When I arrived with the van they
told me that I couldn't have made a booking because their rules didn't
allow it. It was only when I showed them the receipt and made a fuss
about them failing to honour a contract, etc. that they let me stay.

BTW, the FC charge ridiculous rates for pup tents - about 8/night,
IIRC - we ended up putting the tent up in the awning.

Oh - and the Ashurst site particularly gets extemely busy at times.

On the other hand, just before Easter I booked on-line for the Easter
break at Ashurst, got a booking slip confirming a few days later. When
I arrived I was warmly welcomed, no problems at all, and had a lovely
weekend. It was our first time away in our first ever brand new
caravan! Loved it.

A few weeks later I booked on-line for the FC site in North Wales,
Bedgellert, and again all went smoothly. Lovely site in a lovely
position.

Bryan Bellis.
Don't hit REPLY to email me, my spam trap will
kill it. Use the link below instead please.

To email me, go to this web page link:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bryan.bellis/antispam.htm
Old July 21st 03, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike Draper

I think you're quite right, Bryan.

I've had lots of really gopod stays, both at Setthorns and Ashurst.
The problems only seem to arise at peak times, and even when the
site's really busy I've had no problems other than finding a pitch.

But I'm still feeling sore about their charge for a pup tent.

Remove socks before replying.

Mike