Lonely HOBBY owner!

Old July 15th 03, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doc

Default Lonely HOBBY owner!

"Pat Joyce" informed us of a Hobby owners site and was criticised for his
efforts!

I see from doing various searches that there are a number of well

informed,
experienced HOBBY caravan owners using this newsgroup. I'm impressed at

the
willingness to share tips and experiences.

I'm sure you're aware that Roy's caravan centre in Bolton have started a
Hobby Owners Club on their website;
www.northwest-hobby.co.uk Like most forums, you just need to register

on
line and then you're straight in.

I'm brand new to caravaning and my 2002 Hobby 560 prestige (yes, I know
about the towing restrictions thanks), and I'm a bit lonely on the

owners
club at the moment!

----****----
Pat, I wasn't aware of the existence of Roy's Caravan Centre at all; but
then I'm hardly aware of Bolton either!

On this newsgroup there must be something like a dozen Hobbyists who post
fairly regularly and in the most cordial manner. One has recently set up a
website, http://www.gervan.plus.com/ which covers German 'vans in general
rather than just Hobbys.

You should not be surprised if some seem rather sceptical about the site set
up by Roy's Caravan Centre.

He is not listed by Hobby-Caravans as a franchised dealer. Most of us
Hobbyists know about the 3 official Caravan dealers listed, and the main
importer, Ambergate.

From where does Roy get his 'vans and why isn't he recognised by Hobby?

Unlike German dealers' websites, NO prices are given for anything!

The amount of information required by his owners' club section is way over
the top and does look like a data trawling exercise. Having recently had my
Hobby 'attacked' by thieves and knowing of one which was owned for just a
month, before being stolen, and another theft of a Hobby which was foiled by
observant neighbours, no Hobbyists here, will ever give out such
information. So we won't join and I'm afraid you'll remain in lonley
isolation.
However a Google-search on this news group will give lots of postings on
Hobbys. Just join in.

Because of the ridiculous pricing here in the UK, most of us have bought in
Germany and imported our 'vans. I've just had my 'van serviced (and the
damaged hitch repaired) at Ambergate Service Centre and found them very good
for Service; it's a separate outfit from their lousy sales section.

If you are aware of the implications of having a 560, then I assume that you
are using it as a semi-static 'van or you use a lorry exceeding 3500kg mass
to tow it, legally. Otherwise you are not towing legally and most likely
your car and caravan insurance will be void and you will be personally
liable for any damages as well as liable to prosecution. "You don't want to
do that!"

Take care out there and keep your 'van secure; otherwise it will be
permanently 'borrowed' very rapidly.

Cheers, Doc.