Storms in SW France

Old July 16th 03, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
alun jenkins

Default Storms in SW France

Just seen coverage of the storms in the SW of France.
Camping de rive in Bisacrosse took a hammering , most trees down, most
caravans on stite written off. Several vans shown split in half by trees
falling. :-(
4 Dead 60+ seriously injured and 2000+ evacuated.
Boy are they having a bad year after the Oil in Jan.

Old July 16th 03, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Rogers

"alun jenkins" wrote in message
Just seen coverage of the storms in the SW of France.
Camping de rive in Bisacrosse took a hammering , most trees down, most
caravans on stite written off. Several vans shown split in half by trees
falling. :-(
4 Dead 60+ seriously injured and 2000+ evacuated.
Boy are they having a bad year after the Oil in Jan.

Where did you see the coverage. I cant find it?

Harry

Old July 16th 03, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alun Jenkins

"Harry Rogers" wrote in message

"alun jenkins" wrote in message
Just seen coverage of the storms in the SW of France.
Camping de rive in Bisacrosse took a hammering , most trees down, most
caravans on stite written off. Several vans shown split in half by trees
falling. :-(
4 Dead 60+ seriously injured and 2000+ evacuated.

There was some coverage on the BBC but I have been following
La Chaine Meto ( a french sat station)
If your french is upto snuff follow this link
http://www.lci.fr/news/france/0,,111...lEIDUy,00.html

---

Old July 17th 03, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"Harry Rogers" wrote in message
Thanks Alun.

My French is awful but I put the stories into a language translator and

got
the gist of it. Looks pretty scary. I hope anyone who is heading that way
checks it out.

Harry

Twenty five years ago we suffered a very bad storm at La Rive which rolled
in across the lake from the sea and hit the site with very little notice at
about 20.00 and continued for nearly three hours. It was one of the most
frightening experiences we have ever had camping . Lightning struck one of
the trees which seemed just a few yards away and falling branches and very
large pine cones made a hell of a noise on the roofs of the vans.

But by all reports yesterday's storms were many degrees worse and our
thoughts and sympathy are with all those involved.

Old July 17th 03, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alun Jenkins

"bowtiejim" wrote in message

Harry

Twenty five years ago we suffered a very bad storm at La Rive which rolled
in across the lake from the sea and hit the site with very little notice

at
about 20.00 and continued for nearly three hours. It was one of the most

LA Chaine Meto mentioned that
I think it happened in 1981 too and before that. now I know why they have a
sign
at the site we use near there "what to do in case of tempest !"
Apparantly it is called a derecho and its very nasty.

---