Hobby caravan security

Old July 17th 03, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pat Joyce

Default Hobby caravan security

Back again, undaunted. Thanks Doc and those who e-mailed me direct.

Is it worth me getting the Robstop WS (19mm) for my 2002 Winterhoff WS
3000 - or there other reasonably priced hitchlocks out there that would fit?

Also, what wheel clamp should I try? I do get the impression though that
they are not at all effective apart from being a minor delaying factor.

I've also read somewhere about swapping two of the connections on the 7 pin
(brake lights for earth) to disable a bandit vehicle - assuming of course
that they bother to hook up and plug in at all.

Cheers,
Pat

Old July 17th 03, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
AL

"Pat Joyce" wrote in message
Back again, undaunted. Thanks Doc and those who e-mailed me direct.

Is it worth me getting the Robstop WS (19mm) for my 2002 Winterhoff WS
3000 - or there other reasonably priced hitchlocks out there that would

fit?

Also, what wheel clamp should I try? I do get the impression though that
they are not at all effective apart from being a minor delaying factor.

I've also read somewhere about swapping two of the connections on the 7

pin
(brake lights for earth) to disable a bandit vehicle - assuming of course
that they bother to hook up and plug in at all.

Cheers,
Pat

If people are so worried about losing there van, why not jack it up, put it
on axle stands, remove both wheels, a bit hard to steal with no wheels and
won't take much longer to do than fitting all the locks etc.

AL

Old July 17th 03, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pat Joyce

"AL" wrote in message

"Pat Joyce" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks AL, though I've been lead to believe that the 'types' who target this
type of caravan will already have access to wheels - off their own vans.

Pat

Old July 17th 03, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doc

"Pat Joyce" returned, muttering:
Back again, undaunted. Thanks Doc and those who e-mailed me direct.

Is it worth me getting the Robstop WS (19mm) for my 2002 Winterhoff WS
3000 - or there other reasonably priced hitchlocks out there that would

fit?

Also, what wheel clamp should I try? I do get the impression though that
they are not at all effective apart from being a minor delaying factor.

I've also read somewhere about swapping two of the connections on the 7

pin
(brake lights for earth) to disable a bandit vehicle - assuming of course
that they bother to hook up and plug in at all.

----****----
I had the 'external', big black Robstop on the hitch when thieves tried to
steal my 'van. They didn't get it off, just broke off the hitch handle in
their attempt. They also had a go at the SAS wheelclamp but although it was
still attached, I suspect with more leverage and time they would have
removed it.

The old style Robstop looks pretty substantial to me, and uses a German
keyway which seems unobtainable here and in France. The new one, a lockable
pin going through the hitch, is much smaller and far less visible and so has
little deterrence value, so I was persuaded to get a red, bigger external
Bulldog hitchlock for the replacement 2003 Winterhoff hitch, fitted to my
'van after the theft attempt.

Most of us with wheelclamps only fit them for insurance compliance, not any
realistic anti-theft security.

Personally, I wouldn't go down the 'non-standard wiring' route as you never
know when another car etc. may have to tow your 'van. I'm just fitting a
customised alarm system which is activated by tilt, shock and brake release
and which still blares out when all wires to it are cut! Only one person
knows how it's wired up, me! Although with a bit of gnaus and a fair bit of
time (which thieves haven't got) it would be possible to work it out!

Often, thieves may not bother using the hitch at all, but they can't really
move the 'van without releasing the brake. If they jack it up to put
dolleys under the wheels, then the 'tilt' will also set off the alarm.
Can't really do much else.
Oh there is a gadget called the 'Mule' which goes through the floor of the
'van and digs into the ground to lift the wheel(s) off the ground. Can't
think what would happen to the floor though, if they were really prepared to
shift it!!

Cheers, Doc.

Old July 17th 03, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Smk

"Pat Joyce" wrote in message

"AL" wrote in message

"Pat Joyce" wrote in message
[...]

perhaps the best thing would be not to own a Tinker's caravan in the first
place.

Hobby's are for Tarmac layers, not holidaymakers, and they re-enforce all
the old prejudices against caravan owners. In fact, your Hobby is giving
our hobby a bad name.

Old July 17th 03, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike Williams

"Pat Joyce" wrote in message

Well, as it's you Smk, that actually makes me feel mighty good about it!

I wish you'd get your scissors out, Pat, and snip some of the junk before
you post your reply.

Mike

Old July 18th 03, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"AL" wrote in message

"Pat Joyce" wrote in message
[...]

Cos then you get your garage broken into in the search for the wheels.

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 18th 03, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
AL

"Smk" wrote in message
perhaps the best thing would be not to own a Tinker's caravan in the first
place.

Hobby's are for Tarmac layers, not holidaymakers, and they re-enforce all
the old prejudices against caravan owners. In fact, your Hobby is giving
our hobby a bad name.

He he, only smk could come up with such a solution.

AL

Old July 18th 03, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
AL

"Andy R" wrote in message
If people are so worried about losing there van, why not jack it up, put

it
on axle stands, remove both wheels, a bit hard to steal with no wheels

and
won't take much longer to do than fitting all the locks etc.

Cos then you get your garage broken into in the search for the wheels.

Rgds

Andy R

True Andy, but, imho a thief that determined will take some stopping
whatever security you have.
One other solution, instead of using PIR's on an alarm, is to use IR beams,
one beam setup across the driveway, or more to ensure proper coverage of the
area, linked to the house alarm is another answer, the reason for an IR beam
instead of a PIR is there is little chance of an animal setting the alarm
off, i'm pretty sure if the house alarm was triggered, the thieves would
leave.
Alternately, with some imagination, wire the chassis to 240v mains, put
on a microswitch on say the jockey wheel, so when the jockey wheel is raised
or moved, the mains is turned on :-) (of course, this is a joke, a tempting
one maybe, but would be dangerous and is highly illegal)
Or make a compound that the van goes in to, inside the compound, put 1
or 2 large Rotweiller's :-)

As i said, to stop a determined thief is very, very hard, so drastic
measures would be needed to stop them, may be just better to be well insured
and leave nothing irreplaceable in the van and let em have the bugger :-)

AL

Old July 18th 03, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pat Joyce

"Smk" wrote in message

Clothes peg, anyone?....

Ahhhhhh, from caravan salesman/spammer to tinker. What will Smk have me be
next?

"Tonight Matthew I'm going to be..........."

Oh yes, re the towing bit. If you remember my first post that you ripped
into, I clearly stated that I knew about the towing restrictions. So there
was no need for me to reply to Doc, though I did thank Doc (and others - who
shall remain nameless lest they incur your wrath!) at the beginning of this
thread.

I can't comment on where the caravan is or isn't or if it is sited or towed
as - thanks to your intervention - I wouldn't now dare to divulge such
information to strangers!

I'm looking forward to developing my paranoia and mistrust so that I too can
make immediate assumptions about people - though I'll reserve judgement on
Smk for now.

Pat - caravan trader / professional spammer / driveways, guttering and
garden clearance contractor

P.S. - Yes, caravan theft is a real pain, but rarely a tragedy. There are
far more important things in my life than the caravan to worry about.