Breakdown cover + anything else I've forgotten

Old July 14th 03, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

Default Breakdown cover + anything else I've forgotten

We take delivery of our caravan in little more than a week now. I'm quite
sure that I've forgotten hundreds of practical things.

One query I have is with regards to breakdown cover, recovery etc. I have
breakdown cover on my car with Direct Line. Do I need to take out a
separate recovery policy for the caravan, or is it possible to extend the
car policy to cover the caravan? If the former - what are the best bets
(I'm a member of the C&CC if that makes any difference).

What else on the practical point of view might I have forgotten? I have
mirrors, the caravan comes with awning, wastemaster, water, etc. I will
insure the caravan, notify my car insurers, etc

All help gratefully received - thank you in advance!

Old July 26th 03, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:57:05 +0100, "Leyland_Leopard"
wrote:

I had an e-mail from Direct Line today. Essentially, they will come out to
the caravan for a puncture if we are carrying a spare. They will recover
the caravan if the car breaks down. However, they can only recover the
caravan if the vehicle they send is able to do so - hence they cannot
guarantee this service. I'm not totally happy with this! So I'm going to
'phone around tomorrow

Direct line is the renamed greenflag National breakdown, and has the
conditions above. CC Mayday is provided by the same company and will
transport anycaravan for you within the UK should it be necessary.

I believe the CCC provide a service via the RAC and this again
guarantees your cover with a caravan.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old July 26th 03, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"bill lord" wrote in message

Essentially, they will come out to
the caravan for a puncture if we are carrying a spare.

I had no spare available and Green Flag come out to me, I have them through
Saga car insurance.
They fitted thier own wheel/tyre and escorted me to a tyre fitters for a new
tyre toi be fitted to my own wheel.

Please reply to News Group.

Old July 27th 03, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

"David" wrote in message

"bill lord" wrote in message

I had no spare available and Green Flag come out to me, I have them

through
Saga car insurance.
They fitted thier own wheel/tyre and escorted me to a tyre fitters for a

new
tyre toi be fitted to my own wheel.

Please reply to News Group.

I have now had further discussions with Direct Line (aka Green Flag).
Having spoken to a supervisor, they told me that they had NEVER failed to
recover a caravan. They had updated their recovery fleet to ensure that the
majority of vehicles were able to tow or recover caravans. They said that
if I mentioned when I 'phoned that I was towing, and didn't mind a bit of a
wait if necessary, then there would be no problem.

So I will stick with them for now - and look around when my renewal is due
in November.