Tyre Advice Please

Old July 17th 03, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Vicki Watson

Default Tyre Advice Please

Please can anyone advise me how often it is necessary to change tyres on a
caravan. We have been told two things.1. That they should be changed every
couple of years even if they appear fine 2. That they are checked on the
annual service to see if the rubber is perishing and then only changed if
there is signs of detioration. We bought our Bailey in new in 2000 and
wondered if the tyres should be changed by now or not.
Thanks
Vicki nd Kevin.

Old July 18th 03, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Vicki Watson wrote in message
Please can anyone advise me how often it is necessary to change tyres on a
caravan. We have been told two things.1. That they should be changed every
couple of years even if they appear fine 2. That they are checked on the
annual service to see if the rubber is perishing and then only changed if
there is signs of detioration. We bought our Bailey in new in 2000 and
wondered if the tyres should be changed by now or not.
Thanks
Vicki nd Kevin.

I think 5 years is what is often recommended.

For what it's worth, my 1991 Bailey Pageant Magenta is still on its original
tyres, which are still going strong!

Clearly, if you keep them longer than recommended, you need to satisfy
yourself that they are ok - possibly by having them expertly examined - but
I suspect that many tyres are replaced needlessly.

Roger

Old July 19th 03, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
HarryBurr1

Vicki
I have a 1998 Bailey and have just changed the tyres last month. As stated
elsewhere the life span could be about 5 years so I had mine checked. There was
4mm of tread left so obviously not worn out. But the fitter pointed out a deep
tear in the sidewall of one and the other had a large blister, both problems
were on the inner wall, something you wouldn't notice unless you removed the
wheel. Apparently a blister can be caused by hitting a kerb or a pothole and
lets face the state of our roads are appauling. So there you have two reasons
for a closer inspection. However, at 2 years old I don't think you should have
to much to worry about.

harryB
Old July 19th 03, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Philip Davies

Yes tyres will last beyond the recomended time BUT if you have a blow out or
an accident bewre the Insurance assesor who wouild be ablr to tell the age
of the tyre and would son call FOUL if it ment they need not pay out.
So for the sake of 50 quid every five years CHANGE THEM

---

Old July 20th 03, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Philip Davies" wrote in message
Yes tyres will last beyond the recomended time BUT if you have a blow out

or
an accident bewre the Insurance assesor who wouild be ablr to tell the age
of the tyre and would son call FOUL if it ment they need not pay out.

This as happened I take it?

Did the caravan have Tyron bands fitted?

Please reply to News Group.