Touring France

Old July 4th 03, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike Williams

Default Touring France

"Rona church-Jones" wrote in message
Just a note to say thanks to all who helped us with our first trip to

France
with caravan. We have just returned after a wonderful 9 week tour around
France. We loved every moment of it -the roads are so great-as are the

sites
. we shall certainly be returning!

Well you were obviously lucky. Lots of UK motorhome (and some caravan)
travellers in France have found themselves being given free supplies of gas.
Free gas sounds okay, I suppose, but not when it's piped into your motorhome
through an air vent while you've stopped for a rest and you wake up to find
all your belongings missing! They actually target UK travellers, and will
often "do" all of them while ignoring French travellers in exactly the same
stopping area.

The French people have never forgiven us for carrying on with World War II
after they had surrendered!

Stay away from the place!

Mike

Old July 4th 03, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike Williams

"Andy R" wrote in message

IDIOT

I know you are. No need to tell me.

Old July 4th 03, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike Williams

"Andy R" wrote in message

IDIOT

You have obviously taken offence at something I said, Andy. Is it the
statement that French people have never forgiven the English for carrying on
with World War II without them? Is that what you object to? Or is it that
you believe that French people, as a whole, have a general dislike of
British people? Or is it perhaps that you believe that French people have a
right to gas Britons in their vans? Or maybe you don't believe that it
happens, or that they do not deliberately target Britons? It has happend to
lots of British people, Andy. It happens regularly. In fact, you will find
one of the most recent of these occurrences reported on page 22 of today's
Daily Express.

By the way, you would do well to take the advice of Andy Luckman when
drafting your replies.

Mike

Old July 4th 03, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Scope

"Mike Williams" wrote in message

through an air vent while you've stopped for a rest and you wake up to

find
all your belongings missing! They actually target UK travellers, and will
often "do" all of them while ignoring French travellers in exactly the

same
stopping area.

This story has been doing the rounds for a while. I would be grateful if
you, or anyone at all, can give a link to a believable source proving the
truth of it, or not.

Old July 4th 03, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith

I believe it is true, more on the boarders of Spain etc, but I have not
heard any reports around the vendee etc, but it does seem to do the rounds
every summer time.

As for the French disliking us Brits that's nonsense the French cannot do
enough to make your stay a good one.

Although my farther would turn over in his grave to hear about all the brits
travelling to France every year, but that's in his time not mine.

Best Wishes

Keith

--
Keith

Old July 4th 03, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Williamson

Hi Scope

On 4 Jul 2003 11:06:37 +, "Scope" wrote:

"Mike Williams" wrote in message

through an air vent while you've stopped for a rest and you wake up to

find
all your belongings missing! They actually target UK travellers, and will
often "do" all of them while ignoring French travellers in exactly the

same
stopping area.

This story has been doing the rounds for a while. I would be grateful if
you, or anyone at all, can give a link to a believable source proving the
truth of it, or not.

Try - http://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/

There you will see the story of Barbara and Terry Hughes' experiences at
Macon on June 14th .....

The article ends with a note that the Foreign Office "have received
reports of similar burglaries in France."

Paul Williamson
Old July 4th 03, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Paul Williamson" wrote in message
t...
[...]

I've seen and heard reports of this too, not just campers being gassed but
also sleepers on overnight trains, Dutch truck drivers and hotel room
occupants (didn't some film star lose her jewellery at Cannes recently).
You've obviously got to be careful (we've got a Sopoalarm) but none of this
justifies the post by Mike Williams, the only part of which was true was the
fact that people have been gassed and robbed in France. The reason I
haven't responded, other than making the obvious statement that he's an
idiot, is that someone who's prepared to post such ******** isn't really
worth debating with.

Rgds

Andy R

Old July 4th 03, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Johnny

"Mike Williams" wrote in message
"Rona church-Jones" wrote in message

The French people have never forgiven us for carrying on with World War II
after they had surrendered!

Stay away from the place!

Mike

You must tell us your wartime experiences sometime Mike of how you saved the
free world.

Old July 4th 03, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

[...]

I am sorry but I still do not believe these stories about 'gassing' and
there was nothing in the newspaper article that provided any evidence that
gas had been used. I have been touring France for over twenty years and
have not met a single person who has had a bad experience whilst staying the
night at 'aires' and I regularly do so myself. I accept that there must be
some crime' as there is anywhere in the world but the gas story is just
silly when you give it a certain amount of thought. Police forces all over
the world would love to have a gas they could use to anaesthetize people
without killing the persons or themselves when using it. After all the
whole might of the Russian state went into operation a few months back at
the siege in a Moscow theatre and they killed over a hundred. They did not
wake up feeling 'woozy'.
I often wake up feeling 'woozy' when in France and we all know what causes
that.
I would like to meet or enter into correspondence with one of these persons
who allege they were gassed so that I can properly interrogate their story.
The Caravan Club and the Foreign Office merely accept the story as heard and
offer the usual bland replies about taking care and not stopping the night
in places other than camp sites.
And Mike Williams, you may not be an IDIOT but you certainly know little or
nothing about France. In all the years I have spent holidaying there (two
months this year already) I have a been given a warm welcome and offers of
friendship from almost every French person I have met. Not a year passes
without us being invited to stay at a French persons home and our Xmas card
list to France grows longer each year. Last month for a few days, we were
at a Camping Municipal campsite at Cozes near Royan. We saw several
elderly and middle aged French and English couples greeting each other as
old friends and found later that there is a large group of couples from both
countries who meet regularly at this site each summer. I have never seen
any sign of the dislike of the English that you write about. You should
learn a little of the language, put a smile on your face and go to France.
All you have to lose is your bigotry which is poisoning your life.

Regards to all.
Dave Dew