Theft of New Caravan

Old July 3rd 03, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
a wizard
Default Theft of New Caravan

I'm sure caravan thieves reading your comments will appreciate your useful
guide to removing the Guardian clamp !!!!!!!!!!

"David Thornber" wrote in message
In article , Doc
It's the HD2 model of their Original (red) range, I think. It's a

and clamps directly onto the steel wheel over a wheel nut, and I can't
immediately see how any sort of tyre deflation would aid it's removal.

then I'm not a professional caravan thief!

I got this type because I'd noticed a lot of external Garage Sale's lots

these on their cars, and Tony Maris has used the SAS clamps in his

and, as yet, has not lost anything to theft. Also I have to have a
wheelclamp for insurance purposes.
The clamp has lost some paint, but otherwise remains OK. However I don't
know how hard they tried on the wheelclamp after they couldn't get round

I know Tony uses the SAS Guardian because I bought one from him. The
Guardian is yellow and differs from some of the similar styled SAS
clamps in that it hooks onto a special lengthened wheel bolt, rather
than just covering one of the standard ones.

As far as I'm aware, there are two methods of forcibly removing the
Guardian: The first is to use heavy duty cutting equipment and the
other is to remove the other three wheel bolts, jack up the opposite
wheel and apply enough sideways force on the 'van to shear the remaining
bolt. Also, I've always suspected that it would be possible to defeat
the Guardian by removing the centre hub nut as this is left exposed.
You'd have to carry a compatible replacement hub of course, but I
wouldn't put this beyond the determined thief.

David Thornber

The 'nospam' address is a double-bluff, and any e-mail sent to it should
actually reach me. Failing that, send mail to 'dthornber at' instead.

Old July 4th 03, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

In article , a
wizard writes
I'm sure caravan thieves reading your comments will appreciate your useful
guide to removing the Guardian clamp !!!!!!!!!!

Don't be soft - the thieves are privy to all of the necessary techniques
and probably have one or two extras up their sleeve into the bargain.
The bolt-shearing technique has been mentioned on here before, so a
Google search would find it, and an angle-grinder or oxy-acetylene torch
will work on *any* wheel clamp. Trust me!

My point was that, while the Guardian isn't impossible to defeat, it's a
lot of hard work to shift. If the crooks really want your particular
'van then they'll do whatever it takes, but if they've a few to choose
from, they'll go for the easiest target.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a clamp that didn't meet the following
1) Hooks inside the rear of the wheel rim, to avoid removal by tyre
2) Covers at least one wheel bolt, preventing access even if the tyre is
deflated. Bear in mind that on some designs, while the clamp may cover
the bolt, tyre deflation might just allow enough play to get a spanner
in behind it.
3) Does not rely on a conventional padlock as the main point of security
- these can easily be cropped using bolt cutters. (Although if the
clamp will allow a disc type padlock to be fitted, this should be a lot
more difficult to defeat.)
4) Similarly, does not have any structurally essential parts made from
thin enough metal to crop with bolt cutters.
5) Has a positive locking mechanism - e.g. movement is prevented by a
pin that engages with a hole, rather than simply by tightening up the
clamp and then covering the tightening mechanism.
6) Is constructed of solid metal (or box section) of sufficient strength
at any point where bending of the metal might achieve removal.

The Bulldog that came with our 'van failed on points 1, 5 and 6. It
went round the back, but didn't actually hook into the wheel, relied on
a nut being tightened and then covered to prevent access - with
sufficient leverage, this could have been defeated, and force could also
have been used to bend the arms that reached around the back of the
wheel, allowing removal of the clamp. The thing also took at least
three attempts to get into place every time I tried to fit it, and I
invariably wound up painfully trapping at least one finger in part of
the mechanism.

But the Bulldog is excellent compared with some of the tat I see
'protecting' even some of the more valuable 'vans on our storage site.
Some don't even attempt to prevent wheel removal (just fit a spare and
you're away) while others look like they could be defeated with common
household tools.