Cruise control and towing.

Old July 4th 03, 06:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian McFarlane
Default Cruise control and towing.

"Paul Cohen" wrote in message
In article ,
(Ian McFarlane) wrote:

The ones I fitted myself were bought from Easycruise in Kidderminster,

I'm toying with this, but finding it rather daunting.

Paul C.

I'm definitely a diy person I rarely pay anyone to fit or repair something I
can do myself. It is a while since I fitted my last one but assuming things
are much the same as they wre here is what is involved. I used the electric
one last time in preference to the vacuum driven one. So what do you get and
how do you fit it?

1. a servo type motor in a box with a throttle cable coming out of it. This
needs to be mounted under the bonnet and the throttle cable mounted in
parallel with the cars throttle cable. You get varoius bits of clamp, chain
etc to do this but it could well be easier to make up fittings yourself.
2. an electronic control box which fits inside the car somewhere.
3. the control switch which connects to the control box. I preferred the
stalk type which I fastened onto the steering wheel housing. You can get
flat ones and I recollect that someone does a remote radio linked one that
clips on the steering wheel.
4. You need to be able to sense the wheel speed. On the Voyager this signal
was available on the car and it was simply a case of tapping into the right
cable (identified in the fitting instructions). On the older Espace it
involved using a cable tie to fasten a magnet onto the drive shaft and a
coil positioned nearby to generate a pulse every revolution. This connection
also comes back to the control box.
5. A connection into the brake light circuit so that putting your foot on
the brake disconnected the cruise control. On the Voyager it sensed the
increase in engine revs if you put your foot on the clutch and disconected
then. On the Espace that didn't work and I fitted a microswitch that made
was operated mechanically by the clutch pedal. Again these connect back to
the control box.

In terms of difficulty I would rate it harder than fitting a towbar and
electrics because of the possibility of having to fiddle around connecting
the throttle cable. Other than that it is just a case of how easy itis to
pick up on existing wiring and run wires through from under the bonnet to
the inside of the car - which is not always easy. Like so many other jobs of
this type spending time looking and planning the easiest installation can
pay dividends once you actually get started.

Old July 5th 03, 06:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Cohen

In article ,
(Ian McFarlane) wrote:

I'm definitely a diy person I rarely pay anyone to fit or repair
something snip

Thanks Ian - maybe I'll risk it.

Paul C.