Citroen C5

« FA Wheelclamp | Re: »

Old April 1st 05, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Carter

Default Citroen C5

Hello
I'm toying with the idea of buying a C5 HDI.
Does anyone have any experience on them both as everyday transport and as a
towcar?
Thanks
Dave

Old April 1st 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"David Carter" wrote in message
Hello
I'm toying with the idea of buying a C5 HDI.
Does anyone have any experience on them both as everyday transport and as
a towcar?
Thanks
Dave

Colleague of a friend has owned one since new, just over a year old now.
Works fine except for big red 'STOP' which appears on the dash panel display
frequently. Been back to main dealer numeous times. It's a worry because the
manual gives dire warnings if you continue to drive with the lamp
iluminated.
I drove a petrol version a thousand miles (from Estapona) a while ago. Ok,
but I didn't feel it was nice to drive as my trusty Xantia-or as stylish.
There's a lot a boring plastic in the cabin.
The posh version has electric pump self levelling suspension for when you
are hitching up.
If you go for one I'd invest 370 in a booster kit from Eastcoast Racing.
Takes ten minutes to fit and increases the bhp by another 27 without loss of
economy (unless you go for the grin factor).
DaveK.

Old April 1st 05, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Hodge

David Carter wrote:

Hello
I'm toying with the idea of buying a C5 HDI.
Does anyone have any experience on them both as everyday transport and as a
towcar?
Thanks
Dave

Yep - commute very day and tow a 1993 Eldis Breeze 510 5 berth (max wt
1150kg) with the 2.2 HDI estate.

I like big cars for their room and comfortable ride, with the C5 I get
an excellent ride (towing or solo) and up to 50mpg at 70mph motorway
driving solo. Towing I get 26-30mpg depending on how fast (ie in UK or
France). Commuting (15 miles town to city) I get 38-45mpg depending on
traffic queues and use of air-con.

Everything feels very solid when towing and once up to 60mph (70 in F) I
put the cruise control on and only decent hills require me to change
down. Max of 85kg nose weight on the estate According to the hitch
plate) means I can be a real annorak and balance to 80Kg (7% of van)
nosewieght with no worries. Some 4x4s take much less - my mate's CRV
hitch plate says only 65Kg! Unladen weight is 1518Kg so *0.85=1290.3Kg

Loads of room in the boot, good visibility, head rests that seem to
actually reach up to my head (and I'm only 6ft) and not bad acceleration
for diesel all make for a relaxing ride even on UK motorways. Drives
all day towing at 70mph in France at 38C (2 years ago) without a murmer.

Fun bits - the powered rear suspension adjuster in the boot can be used
for hitching BUT watch out when trying to un-hitch if the engine is
running as while you wind down the jockey wheel the suspesion
automatically adjusts height and you can find it difficult to get the
caravan nose high enough. Just lower the suspesion from the control
next to the handbrake in the C5.

Drawbacks: large turning circle so can be a challenge to park in tight
multi-storeys; servicing is not cheap (300 quid main dealer @ 13k mile
interval).

Old April 1st 05, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

"David Carter" wrote in message
Hello
I'm toying with the idea of buying a C5 HDI.
Does anyone have any experience on them both as everyday transport and as
a towcar?
Thanks

Comment from the 'Which?' car buying guide for 2004/2005:

Citroen C5 - Not to be confused with the Sinclair C5, although that might be
a wiser purchase. It's very spacious but that can't offset the steep
depreciation, dreadful reliability and poor driving experience.

Which? gives the car 'black spots' for breakdowns, faults, and niggles.

You pays your money and you takes your chances......................!!

Kev

Old April 1st 05, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

servicing is not cheap (300 quid main dealer @ 13k mile
interval).

Keep away from main dealers. I can buy semi synthetic oil and a filter for
15, or save the hassle and use National Tyres who will do it for 20.
There's not much else involved. Even a major service only suggests fuel and
pollen filter additional to oil change.
The rest of it refers to checking brakes for wear and security of fittings
(not to mention the greasing the steering wheel).
DaveK.

Old April 1st 05, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DieSea

"davek" wrote in message
servicing is not cheap (300 quid main dealer @ 13k mile
interval).

Keep away from main dealers. I can buy semi synthetic oil and a filter for
15, or save the hassle and use National Tyres who will do it for 20.
There's not much else involved. Even a major service only suggests fuel and
pollen filter additional to oil change.
The rest of it refers to checking brakes for wear and security of fittings
(not to mention the greasing the steering wheel).
DaveK.

But what about the guarantee ? .

We got stung by the local Renault main agent , when we bought the Clio we were
told the 18k service was 130 gbp that turned out to be 180 gbp after a fuss , the
36k service was going to be 130 + pollen filter that nearly turned out to be 345
gbp .

We shopped around with 4 main dealers (within 30 miles ) quoting between 240 and
360 for the same 36k service.

The main dealer soon got back into line when he found out that our Espace is up
for renewal in June and we had been looking some where else.

Service schedule says its a four hour job and at 60 gbp an hour that soon puts the
servicing cost up ........oh and there's VAT to add to that of course.

By the way our Clio has done 37k in the last 20 months and apart from the
servicing has only had a number plate bulb replaced.

Must admit tho' we keep on hearing good reports about the X-Trail and I think the
DCI engine is the same as the 2.2 Renault diesel , having said that I'd miss my
swivelling front seats.

DieSea

« FA Wheelclamp | Re: »