Need info re French supermarkets

Old July 5th 03, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Terry

Default Need info re French supermarkets

klyne wrote:

I am intrigued why you find it necessary to find a place to shop in France
on a Sunday? When we travel to France we take enough food to last the
journey to our first main site, sometimes as much as three days.

Based on an experience some time in the mid 1970s, in July-August
we were not allowed to operate our propane gas caravan fridge on
board the approximately eighteen hour ferry from Argentia
Newfoundland to North Sydney, Nova Scotia. Nor during the
approximately ten hour return trip some weeks later from North
Sydney to Port Aux Basques, Newfoundland. Neither trip was
delayed as they can be during a bad winter storm, by up to an
aditional two days! But that's another story!
Consequentlty a few items spoiled, milk for example and some cold
cut meats that we looked at suspiciously!
So my question would be; while you caravanners are ferrying,
hovercrafting or chunneling from Britain to 'The Continent' how
DO you keep food items from going off?
Just curious.
Old July 6th 03, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mr Mxptl

Terry wrote in message ...

So my question would be; while you caravanners are ferrying,
hovercrafting or chunneling from Britain to 'The Continent' how
DO you keep food items from going off?
Just curious.

By buying it when we get 'there' - generally it's cheaper than 'here'
and usually tastes better.
Old July 6th 03, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Robson

"Mr Mxptl" wrote in message
om...
Terry wrote in message

So my question would be; while you caravanners are ferrying,
hovercrafting or chunneling from Britain to 'The Continent' how
DO you keep food items from going off?
Just curious.

By buying it when we get 'there' - generally it's cheaper than 'here'
and usually tastes better.

..... yeah.... as long as you don't arrive on a Sunday ;-)

Old July 6th 03, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin McGowan

"Paul Robson" wrote in
message ...

"Mr Mxptl" wrote in message
om...
Terry wrote in message

So my question would be; while you caravanners are ferrying,
hovercrafting or chunneling from Britain to 'The Continent' how
DO you keep food items from going off?
Just curious.

I always freeze a couple of two pint bottles of milk and a pack of sausages
and stick them in the fridge before I set off. The rest of the food has
always been fresh after the trip and the milk usually has to still be thawed
out and the sausages are thawed by the next day. No problems. martin

Old July 30th 03, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Terry

Martin McGowan wrote:

I always freeze a couple of two pint bottles of milk and a pack of sausages
and stick them in the fridge before I set off. The rest of the food has
always been fresh after the trip and the milk usually has to still be thawed
out and the sausages are thawed by the next day. No problems. martin

Makes sense.
One of our (summer) ferry routes to 'The mainland of' Canada is
15 to 18 hours at sea plus waiting and unloading time; maximum
about 20-24 hours say. So that could work provided everything
solidly frozen, as it would be if proceeding directly from home
to the ferry terminal.
Cheers and thank you. Terry.