Which Wheel Clamp?

Old July 6th 03, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Westwell

Default Which Wheel Clamp?

Hi all,

After some advice on which is the best wheel clamp to purchase in term of
security!

I wonder if anyone can remember and recent reviews when they concluded one
was better then the others.

I'm after a real pikey proof one if such a thing exists!

Regards,

Paul

Old July 7th 03, 05:41 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"Paul Westwell" wrote in message
Hi all,

After some advice on which is the best wheel clamp to purchase in term of
security!

I wonder if anyone can remember and recent reviews when they concluded one
was better then the others.

I'm after a real pikey proof one if such a thing exists!

The answer to the last is no and likely to stay that way until the insurance
companies begin to take an insterest in the quality of a product which they
insist should be fitted to comply with their terms and conditions. All of
the present models can either be levered off the wheel or have their locks
drilled out.

Old July 8th 03, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Paul Westwell" wrote in message
Hi all,

After some advice on which is the best wheel clamp to purchase in term of
security!

I wonder if anyone can remember and recent reviews when they concluded one
was better then the others.

I'm after a real pikey proof one if such a thing exists!

Regards,

Paul

I understand the Bulldog Titan did better than most in recent tests (but I
only heard this second hand).
Richard

Old July 9th 03, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Phil

David Thornber wrote in message ...
In message , Richard
writes

"Paul Westwell" wrote in message
Hi all,

After some advice on which is the best wheel clamp to purchase in term of
security!

I wonder if anyone can remember and recent reviews when they concluded one
was better then the others.

I'm after a real pikey proof one if such a thing exists!

Regards,

Paul

I understand the Bulldog Titan did better than most in recent tests (but I
only heard this second hand).

They must have changed the design then. It was a Bulldog Titan that I
got with my caravan, and I hated the damned thing. It took at least
three goes to fit, and I invariably wound up painfully trapping one of
my fingers between parts of it in the process.

I also wasn't particularly happy with the locking mechanism, which
consisted of a clamp being tightened to hold the three arms in place,
with the clamp then being secured from loosening by the locking
mechanism. I reckon it would have been pretty easy to defeat this thing
using sufficient leverage - even the previous owner told me that they'd
once lost the keys, but some kind soul was able to remove the clamp for
them anyway!

I prefer the Semtex brand of anti theft devices, you don't get your
goods back but the thief will not try again.

Phil
Old July 10th 03, 02:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

And I bet someone asks where they can be obtained from!!

Cheers, Peter.

snipped
:

Old July 10th 03, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"fred" wrote in message
om...
I've got the Bull Dog Titan and when they tried to steal my caravan a
couple of weeks ago they removed the clamp easier than I do with the
bloody keys.

I think The clamp is expensive, awkward to fit and obviosly not very
secure.

Fred

Hi Fred,
I _understand_ it is Sold Secure, TUV and TNO approved and in Practical
Caravan's Guide to Security Tests it was undefeated ..... so much for the
foregoing then!

Richard