Redoing awning rail

Old July 6th 03, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ZZhivago

Default Redoing awning rail

I have decided to refix my awning rail on my 10 year old Lunar Clubman.
Would readers recommend using the same neverset mastic as existing, or
should I take advantage of more up to date compounds such as Sikaflex?
Comments on any technical problems associated with doing this would be much
appreciated.

Cheers Paul

Old July 6th 03, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 15:33:32 +0100, "ZZhivago"
wrote:

I have decided to refix my awning rail on my 10 year old Lunar Clubman.
Would readers recommend using the same neverset mastic as existing, or
should I take advantage of more up to date compounds such as Sikaflex?
Comments on any technical problems associated with doing this would be much
appreciated.

The advantages of the neverset compounds such are Carafax IDL are that
if at first you don't get a seal then you can always have another go.
My old caravan was resealed with Sikaflex and there was always a hint
of a leak in various places one leading to some serious damp. But
since if was stuck on with sikaflex I could not take the easy option
and just redo the small area where the water was penetrating.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old July 6th 03, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy

hiya,

i thought the awning rails had to be bonded ( with some kind of
polyurathane sealer, like silicone but stronger ) for the extra
strength required, when the awnings tugging to and fro. any rail that
doesnt need to be particularly strong uses idl bedding sealant.

but if im wrong im sure ill be corrected.

andy

"ZZhivago" wrote in
:

I have decided to refix my awning rail on my 10 year old Lunar
Clubman. Would readers recommend using the same neverset mastic as
existing, or should I take advantage of more up to date compounds such
as Sikaflex? Comments on any technical problems associated with doing
this would be much appreciated.

In the Caravan Club Magazine, November 2000, there was an article about
"Re-bedding trim strips"
I saved it for use. If you are interested, email me ).

The Worlds Uncensored News Source