Stabiliser - Alko or Winterhoff?

Old July 6th 03, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian McFarlane

Default Stabiliser - Alko or Winterhoff?

I'm considering changing my blade stabiliser for a friction head one, either
the Alko 2004 or Winterhoff WS3000.

I suspect there is not much to choose between them, but I have heard
unsubstantiated claims that the Winterhoff is better.

Any recommendations from this group about which to choose and why.

Ian

Old July 6th 03, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lex M

"Ian McFarlane" wrote in
:

I'm considering changing my blade stabiliser for a friction head one,
either the Alko 2004 or Winterhoff WS3000.

I suspect there is not much to choose between them, but I have heard
unsubstantiated claims that the Winterhoff is better.

Any recommendations from this group about which to choose and why.

There have been some tests: in 1998, the url:
http://www.winterhoff.de/html/adac-test_gb.html

A more recent test is only in German. The url:
http://www.boote-magazin.de/autoboot/aut8011.html

The Winterhoff is the winner.

I use the best: the Stabifix, the 'mother' of the Winterhoff, with bronze
friction elements (for sale in Holland, http://www.stabifix.nl)

--
Regards, Lex
http://biod.net
Old July 6th 03, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Scope

"Ian McFarlane" wrote in message
I'm considering changing my blade stabiliser for a friction head one,

either
the Alko 2004 or Winterhoff WS3000.

I suspect there is not much to choose between them, but I have heard
unsubstantiated claims that the Winterhoff is better.
Any recommendations from this group about which to choose and why.

I've used both. Can't say that I've noticed any difference when towing.

Old July 6th 03, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doc

Ian McFarlane asked:
I'm considering changing my blade stabiliser for a friction head one,

either
the Alko 2004 or Winterhoff WS3000.

I suspect there is not much to choose between them, but I have heard
unsubstantiated claims that the Winterhoff is better.

Any recommendations from this group about which to choose and why.

----****-----
Ian,

The Winterhoff is regarded as being better because of its design and the
results of tests in German caravan magazines (& maybe by TUV, but not sure
about this)

The Winterhoff uses two large pads, fore and aft of the towball. In this
way it damps both pitching and yaw (snaking). Alko, originally had two
friction pads, but these were mounted laterally on the sides of the towball
controlling only yaw, not pitching.

Seeing the advantage of the Winterhoff, but unable to design theirs
similarly because of patents, Alko introduced the 2004 with 4 small pads
both fore and aft and on the sides of the towball. I have heard that there
can be problems with these small pads detatching inside the coupling,
causing it to 'jam' onto the towball; then you have a BIG problem.

If I were looking to fit such a coupling, I'd definitely go for the
Winterhoff. Needless to say my 'van came with one fitted, but I've had a
new one fitted because theives smashed it attempting to steal my 'van!!

Cheers, Doc.

Old July 7th 03, 05:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"Doc" wrote in message

Ian McFarlane asked:
[...]

TUV is a bit like a BSI Kite mark and cannot really be used be used yo judge
the performance between two similarly marked products. Certainly the
WinterHoff was thought to be best when tested by the journalists in Germany.
The Winterhoff is slightly difficult to remove when under coompression, i,e.
with the coupling compressed after reversing or stopping otherwise having
used both I find the Winterhoff to be the easier to use and the optional
lock to be well designed and hopefully secure; thieves don't try to remove
it, preferring to tie the complete A frame to their vehicle in order to
remove a van.

Old July 7th 03, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian McFarlane

"bowtiejim" wrote in message

"Doc" wrote in message

Ian McFarlane asked:
[...]

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have seen the photos on Docs website of
the damaged hitch and notice that he was using the Robostop lock. From what
I can make out the Winterhoff hitch is now being distributed in the UK by
Bulldog and they supply it with a lock of their own design/manufacture. The
Bulldog one can be left on whilst towing and I passed a Hobby travelling up
the motorway over the weekend where the Bulldog lock was clearly in place.
Can the Robstop be left in place whilst towing?

Interesting info about the size of the friction pads, Winterhoff's web site
did not give enough detail for me to work out how it differed from the Alko.
Think I'm leaning towards the Winterhoff on the basis of this.

Ian

Old July 7th 03, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Ian McFarlane" wrote in message

"bowtiejim" wrote in message

"Doc" wrote in message

Ian McFarlane asked:
[...]

Alko hitchlock can be left in place whilst towing ...... Richard

Old July 7th 03, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doc

"Ian McFarlane"

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have seen the photos on Docs website of
the damaged hitch and notice that he was using the Robostop lock. From

what
I can make out the Winterhoff hitch is now being distributed in the UK by
Bulldog and they supply it with a lock of their own design/manufacture.

The
Bulldog one can be left on whilst towing and I passed a Hobby travelling

up
the motorway over the weekend where the Bulldog lock was clearly in place.
Can the Robstop be left in place whilst towing?

Interesting info about the size of the friction pads, Winterhoff's web

site
did not give enough detail for me to work out how it differed from the

Alko.
Think I'm leaning towards the Winterhoff on the basis of this.

----****----
Ian,

I've just picked up the Hobby with its new Winterhoff hitch. It is
different from the year 2002 one and seems easier to hitch up and uncouple.
It doesn't have the little 'release' lever on the side; to uncouple you lift
to ~45degrees, then pull back and up simultaneously. It's easier to do than
describe!

There's a new Robstock lock to go with it. It's very small and is basically
a lockable high tensile rod which goes through a hole in the hitch which
prevents the hitching 'arm' from being moved. I DIDN't go for this one, but
got the Bulldog one instead. It's much bigger, red, much more visible and
externally locks up the hitch (using a cylindrical key) rather than using
an internal locking pin and a flat key.

All these hitchlocks can be used when towing.
Ambergate (where I had the 'van serviced and the hitch repaired) advised
that, because of the lack of visibility of the new Robstock, it would have
little deterent value until the hitch arm was broken etc.; so I went for the
Bulldog. But the new Robstock is very neat and light. The old one
(externally mounted) was certainly strong enough to prevent the hitch being
used, but as has been mentioned, they either winch it onto a flat bed truck,
or just chain it onto the back of some lorry!!

If you go for Winterhoff don't let the dealer palm you off with old 2002
stock, with the release lever on the side!!

Cheers, Doc.

Old July 7th 03, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lex M

"Ian McFarlane" wrote in
:

Interesting info about the size of the friction pads, Winterhoff's
web site did not give enough detail for me to work out how it
differed from the Alko.

Learn Dutch and read anything about them on www.caravanhandboek.nl
;-))
Stabifix has a built-in lock :-))))

--
Regards, Lex
http://www.biod.net

Old July 8th 03, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"Ian McFarlane" wrote in message

snip

If Tony Maris is reading this thread do you have any advice on whether it

is
acceptable to use a suitably designed hitchlock whilst on the move.

I have looked into this a bit further for the Al-ko and it appears that the
hitchlock they sell for the 2000/2500/2700 stabiliser can be used when
towing with the 2500 and 2700 but _not_ with the older 2000 as it prevents
proper operation of that particular stabiliser.

Regards ...... Richard