killing midges inside caravans

Old July 6th 03, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Thompson

Default killing midges inside caravans

Has anybody tried using a Vapona type fly killer in a caravan to kill
midges? Would the insecticide get the midge before the midge gets us?
We've tried spraying the inside of the van before going to bed, but the
spray wears off during the night and the midges keep coming. I don't
like using any chemical killer in a closed caravan, but at this time of
year unless we do something, sleeping in the caravan will become pretty
well impossible. Fly screens on open windows are OK for keeping flies
out, but the midges are so tiny that they get straight through the
screens. Thanks.

--
Keith Thompson
SPAM BLOCK IN OPERATION! Replace "deadspam.com" with "arrandragons.co.uk" to
Old July 6th 03, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Keith Thompson" wrote in message
Has anybody tried using a Vapona type fly killer in a caravan to kill
midges? Would the insecticide get the midge before the midge gets us?
We've tried spraying the inside of the van before going to bed, but the
spray wears off during the night and the midges keep coming. I don't
like using any chemical killer in a closed caravan, but at this time of
year unless we do something, sleeping in the caravan will become pretty
well impossible. Fly screens on open windows are OK for keeping flies
out, but the midges are so tiny that they get straight through the
screens. Thanks.

I wouldn't use anything chemical inside a caravan - I don't even use them in
the house. There are known active carcinogens in them, I don't know why
they're allowed to be sold. Even on Arran we didn't use them!

However, in Wales recently, because we were on a farm and very close to
animals, we were plagued with flies, midges, mosquitoes and occasionally
horse flies. I hung a fly paper in the awning, horrid things but they work.
There were still flies in the caravan but they weren't a real problem
because all they wanted to do was get out.

Oh - the crane flies were picked up and fed to the hens.

Mary

Old July 7th 03, 05:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bowtiejim

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Not adverse to using chemicals, but am nervous of fly sprays as there is a
link betweeb one of the chemicals involved and prostate cancer. If the van
was infested then we sprayed the van about hald an hour before retiring and
then went for a walk. The chemicals are not lighter than air and therefore
settle, so that they lose their effectiveness against midges more quickly
than you thought. We now have fly screens and a small electric zapper which
can be used in the van or the awning..

Old July 7th 03, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 14:33:48 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

| On Sun, 6 Jul 2003 22:19:03 +0100, Keith Thompson
| wrote:
|
| | Has anybody tried using a Vapona type fly killer in a caravan to kill
| | midges? Would the insecticide get the midge before the midge gets us?
| | We've tried spraying the inside of the van before going to bed, but the
| | spray wears off during the night and the midges keep coming. I don't
| | like using any chemical killer in a closed caravan, but at this time of
| | year unless we do something, sleeping in the caravan will become pretty
| | well impossible. Fly screens on open windows are OK for keeping flies
| | out, but the midges are so tiny that they get straight through the
| | screens. Thanks.
|
| Small! ultra violet light attractors, with a high voltage zapper are
| available. These are officially recomended for food preparation premises
| and would be my choice.
|
| They are commonly available if you keep your eyes open.

Found a picture of the smallest available.
http://www.buy-electrical.co.uk/inde...tml&lang=en-gb

Beware this one needs 240v AC, I have never seen a 12 V one.

Dave F

Old July 7th 03, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
T i m

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 15:40:50 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

Found a picture of the smallest available.
http://www.buy-electrical.co.uk/inde...tml&lang=en-gb

Beware this one needs 240v AC, I have never seen a 12 V one.

Dave F

[T] Hi Dave,

I found a 12V one but not sure how big it is ??

At least they do exist ..

http://www.weatherrite.com/Products/...bug-zapper.htm

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. After a camping trip to the West coast of Scotland at the wrong
time of the year I'd like to see a midge zapper every 1m ! (and that's
not miles)!
Old July 7th 03, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 19:22:55 +0100, T i m wrote:

| On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 15:40:50 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
| wrote:
|

| Found a picture of the smallest available.
| http://www.buy-electrical.co.uk/inde...tml&lang=en-gb
|
| Beware this one needs 240v AC, I have never seen a 12 V one.
|
| Dave F
|
| [T] Hi Dave,
|
| I found a 12V one but not sure how big it is ??
|
| At least they do exist ..
|
| http://www.weatherrite.com/Products/...bug-zapper.htm
|
| All the best ..

Look at the the handle on top.
All handles are about 100mm wide.

Should do the job abd be far safer than chemicals.

Dave F
Old July 7th 03, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Thompson

In message , Dave Fawthrop
writes

Should do the job abd be far safer than chemicals.

Dave

Sorry to report this, but the midges aren't particularly attracted to
light. They can home in on carbon dioxide in our breath from a distance
of 100 metres or thereabouts. There's more information about the
little blighters' preferences and habits on

http://www.midgeater.co.uk/

With luck they'll eventually make a portable model, which would benefit
everybody. And, they might be a little less expensive.

Any further thoughts on midges inside caravans very welcome. Like
everybody else, I really don't like the idea of the chemicals in the
sprays and would really do anything to avoid having to use them.

Old July 7th 03, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

Any further thoughts on midges inside caravans very welcome. Like
everybody else, I really don't like the idea of the chemicals in the
sprays and would really do anything to avoid having to use them.

Let me tell you that I react very badly to all insect bites and stings -
sometimes having an anaphylactic reaction.

But I also have cancer and I know which causes more problems.

Mary

Old July 7th 03, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:40:14 +0100, Keith Thompson
wrote:

| In message , Dave Fawthrop
| writes
|
| Should do the job abd be far safer than chemicals.
|
| Dave
|
| Sorry to report this, but the midges aren't particularly attracted to
| light.

How come I find them in the tray of my UV fly killer then?

Dave F
Old July 8th 03, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil Cairns

wrote:

| In message , Dave Fawthrop
| writes
|
| Should do the job abd be far safer than chemicals.
|
| Dave
|
| Sorry to report this, but the midges aren't particularly attracted to
| light.

How come I find them in the tray of my UV fly killer then?

Dave F

I have just had 16 days camping at Inverewe at the head of Loch Maree,
I used a Battery operated Bug Zapper and we sat listening to the
little blighters getting fried when the hit the Zapper did not get
bitten once in the van for a change.
When out walking or climbing a good coating of deet on arms legs face
neck and ears and niether myself or Denise got bit.
will be heading back to the Highlands Soon.
Neil the Chef