Reversing up a hill

Old August 23rd 03, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew Humphries

Default Reversing up a hill

What's the best way to reverse a caravan up a hill?

The brakes will always apply and you can not always unhitch and spin the van
around.

Old August 23rd 03, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

I think if you placed chocks in front of the caravan wheels and allowed the
outfit to pull gently down against them then it would reverse OK.
Once in Norway I had to do a very steep hill start and I tied the chocks to
the caravan rear legs, let the outfit lie back against them and then pull
quickly away. The caravan jerked forward but did get us moving, at the top
of the hill I stopped and untied the chocks.

Old August 24th 03, 01:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

The modern caravan has had auto reversing brakes for a couple of decades at
least. On older caravans (pre 1980-ish) a reversing catch was provided to stop
the coupling pushing back and applying the brakes. Even my small car transporter
trailer can be reversed with ease.

Cheers, Peter.

"Stewart" wrote in message
: I think if you placed chocks in front of the caravan wheels and allowed the
: outfit to pull gently down against them then it would reverse OK.
: Once in Norway I had to do a very steep hill start and I tied the chocks to
: the caravan rear legs, let the outfit lie back against them and then pull
: quickly away. The caravan jerked forward but did get us moving, at the top
: of the hill I stopped and untied the chocks.
: "Andrew Humphries" wrote in message
: ...
: What's the best way to reverse a caravan up a hill?
:

Old August 24th 03, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Another thing I have noticed is that it is easier to reverse with a front
wheel drive than rear wheel. I have had many similarly sized Volvos used
for towing and the front wheel drives give better control in reversing.

Old August 24th 03, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew Humphries

Snip

either, you must first come to a stop in such a way that the
brakes have NOT been applied. If they have, place chocks on the
downhill side of the van wheels, and let the car roll forward an inch
or two until the brakes are disengaged.

I will try that

My car is a 2l turbo diesel rover 620 (kb wgt 1325kg)
The van is a 1989 Eccles Amethyst (max wgt 1060kg)

When reversing on the straight it's like there is no van there. (because the
breaks had not been applied I assume)

Old August 24th 03, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

"Andrew Humphries" wrote in message
What's the best way to reverse a caravan up a hill?

The brakes will always apply and you can not always unhitch and spin the

van
around.

As others have said, modern vans have auto-reversing brakes - where the
shoes move round to a different position in reverse such that compression of
the hitch no longer applies them.

If your brakes *do* come on when you reverse, have the adjustment checked.

Roger

Old August 26th 03, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"Harry Bloomfield" |

One further point....

An easy way to pull away on a steep incline, is to start with the van
almost at right angles to the tow vehicle, tow vehicle pointing up the
hill. That way it gets a run at it, before the weight of the van comes
fully onto the hitch.
Harry (M1BYT)...

Also Harry the technique you describe above is useful when pulling away on

wet grass.
Mike

Old August 26th 03, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

Default Stabiliser - What to Buy

After quite a lot of 'hassle' with SAS my Straightliner Stabiliser is being
collected today.

We are now in the decision making process - Alko or Winterhof - but I seem
to remember one, or possibly both, have problems when unhitching on a slope
and my drive has one.

What does the group think?

--
Peter Rawbone in Beechy Bucks
- This is hopefully spam blocked, please remove the

Old August 26th 03, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JayDee

"Peter" wrote in message
After quite a lot of 'hassle' with SAS my Straightliner Stabiliser is

being
collected today.

We are now in the decision making process - Alko or Winterhof - but I seem
to remember one, or possibly both, have problems when unhitching on a

slope
and my drive has one.

What does the group think?

--
Peter Rawbone in Beechy Bucks
- This is hopefully spam blocked, please remove

the
dot car to mail me.

What was wrong with the straightliner? I've used one for a while now and
can't fault it. I'd be interested to hear about your problem.

ATB
JayDee