butane Vs propane

Old July 7th 03, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Robin Dumpleton

Default butane Vs propane

The temperature problem with Butane is caused by the demand more than the
ambient temperature. As the liquid expands to gas it causes a refrigeration
effect which drops the temperature still more so you can see that butane can
easily reach -2.

Robin

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 21:41:42 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

wrote:

| As others have pointed out, propane is better for winter use, as it
| remains usable at temps down to -40 degC, while butane is all but
| useless at anything below 0 deg.
| If you don't use the van in the colder months, the situation is not as
| clear cut, and there's a good case for sticking with butane in some
| instances.
| It's a bit complicated, but depends on exactly what gas appliances
| will be in use at the same time, and what size cylinders you have.
|
| Could you expand on this, Ian?
|
| Our 10' caravan will certainly be used in very cold Welsh winters as

well as
| at other times. It has one gas light and a two burner hob with rarely

used
| grill. It will also have a two burner gas barbecue and a 3-way

Electrolux
| (yes yes I know but I can't bring myself to type D*m*t*c) fridge. I

think
| the propane cylinders which will live with it are 19 Kg. The 'van will
| rarely be moved.
|
| The 12' one will eventually be using all propane, it's what HWMBO at

least
| in these matters insists on. It has two burners on the hob, a Rinnai

water
| heater and a three way fridge. I suspect that he'll use smaller

cylinders
| because of the weight factor - the van will be moved far more often.
|
| What complications could ensue because of these demands on the

cylinders?

Very few :-)

A long piece of pipe from the bottle to the van, on both vans, would be a
good idea so that if push comes to shove the large 19kg bottles could be
used on either van. Our large 13kg propane bottle sits in front of the
van. It is the largest which will conveniently fit in the back of the car.
The diddy 3.9kg bottles in the front locker are a bit costly to refil.

Dave F

Old July 7th 03, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Robin Dumpleton" wrote in message
The temperature problem with Butane is caused by the demand more than the
ambient temperature. As the liquid expands to gas it causes a

refrigeration
effect which drops the temperature still more so you can see that butane

can
easily reach -2.

Robin

Robin, it's great to see you again.

But we've been in temperatures so low that the butane wouldn't evaporate,
I'm not claiming that it was solid because I don't know its freezing
temperature but there was no gas at all. That night our ceramic cups cracked
when the water in them froze.

We had to light a charcoal fire to melt water in the kettle ...

Mary

Old July 9th 03, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
But we've been in temperatures so low that the butane wouldn't evaporate,
I'm not claiming that it was solid because I don't know its freezing
temperature but there was no gas at all. That night our ceramic cups

cracked
when the water in them froze.

We had to light a charcoal fire to melt water in the kettle ...

Mary

Mary,

At one time I thought I was falling in love but all this talk of melting ice
to make the tea has put me right off. ;-))

Regards from the sunny south.

Dave Dew.

Old July 9th 03, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

Mary,

At one time I thought I was falling in love but all this talk of melting

ice
to make the tea has put me right off. ;-))

Regards from the sunny south.

Dave Dew.

It's horridly sunny here, we've been at the Great Yorkshire Show all day and
I've been wilting - nay sweating - and am certainly not in the mood for
love.

At least not with a southerner :-)))

Mary

Old July 10th 03, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:42:57 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Horses sweat, men perspire ladies merely glow. G

Listen, yesterday - and today - I was sweating.

I know the old saw and have quoted it often, ad nauseam even, but when your
spectacles are obscured by droplets of saline solution and your shirt sticks
to you you're sweating.

ROFL

(remove the spam to reply)