Cruise control and towing.

Old July 3rd 03, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Default Cruise control and towing.

In article ,
says...
| It will tow quite happily on the French autoroutes at 60 - 65 mph with the
| cruise control set and as others have said it will only disengage when it
| cannot keep going up hill at the set speed without a gear change. It will
| disengage once the speed has dropped by 5 - 7 mph. On less steep hills it
| just keeps going at a constant speed.
|
| It is a good way of keeping check of your speed but generates some
| interesting situation. It is surprising how many times I am cruising along
| the motorway at a steady speed set at around the speed limit and someone
| comes up behind, overtakes and then starts to slow down again. After a while
| because I am catching them up I will overtake them, which obviously wakes
| them up and soon the process repeats. During this my speed does not change
| at all as I am using my cruise control. If this happens a few times I will
| eventually pass, accelerate to open up a good gap and then drop back to the
| previous set speed. They do not usually catch up again. It is as though once
| the gap between them and you gets to a certain size they subconsciously
| accelerate to overtake but having done so won't maintain their speed.

Agreed, you do not know just how useful it is until you have tried
cruise. I often used to get cramp in the right leg from constantly
holding the throttle open on the long runs.

My Granada cruise stays locked in unless defeated by pressing the
brake, clutch, the cruise buttons... or if the speed drops below 30mph.
It cannot be engaged below 30mph and so far as I know engine revs is
not a factor.

I also find I am often slowly over-taken whilst cruise is engaged, only
to find the over taker falls back at the first hill. It can be
annoying.

Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org