butane Vs propane WHY?..BTU's

Old July 3rd 03, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

Default butane Vs propane WHY?..BTU's

If you gave it a little more thought (I am not being horrible) you would realise
that domestic installations and caravan sites (where there is no pipeline near)
have a large storage tank containing Propane gas as they are likely to suffer
from freezing conditions which would produce no flow from a Butane tank, which
is what I said in my reply to one of the original postings.

Cheers, Peter.

"Jimbo" wrote in message
: edd case Posted Snip----
: Butane is more efficient. It has a higher calorific value than propane.
:
: Edd.
:
: OOPS...didn't mean to start that one!! OK I thought Butane was more
: efficient but now I'm clearly not sure.
: ----End Snip
:
: I was always under the impression that Butane was a cleaner fuel
: Butane = Domestic
: Propane = Work environment and dirty as in more carbon which would be
: fine in a rough and ready burner
: I have nothing to back this up, just always thought it was the done thing
: that you would use Butane in a domestic situation, and Propane for
: road works etc
:
: Jimbo
: --
: remove jukebox to reply
: http://www.witzend.org.uk
: http://www.by-users.co.uk
: http://www.by-user.co.uk
:
:

Old July 4th 03, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jimbo

Peter Posted Snip----
If you gave it a little more thought (I am not being horrible) you would

realise
that domestic installations and caravan sites (where there is no pipeline

near)
have a large storage tank containing Propane gas as they are likely to

suffer
from freezing conditions which would produce no flow from a Butane tank

----End Snip

Correct.

I have seen large white tanks of gas alongside houses in the country, but
did not
know what type of gas they held/used

I do not know where in my head it was programmed that Butane was the clean
gas for domestic use and Propane was the building site gas and dirty, Only
that
it is programmed there from long ago, for some reason
Mainly from seeing in the 60's camping GAZ and Caravan gas in blue bottles
and
The extra large red Butane gas bottles at roadwork's powering gas lights
which
was as cheap as chips, then some caravanner/camper thought "I will use that"

Why do they produce more expensive blue Butane gas then? instead of just
having
red Propane? There must be some point why they produce a different container
different gas especially when it is more expensive. of no use below 3
degrees C
and less calorific value
What would be the point other than cleanliness or rip-off?

Not a wind up, Just what I have always been led to believe that blue was
domestic and clean whilst Red was rough and ready or red burnt hotter and
destroyed gas ring outlet

i.e. I do not know how I think this other than what I have observed/learnt
whilst young!

Regards Jimbo

--
remove jukebox to reply
http://www.witzend.org.uk

Old July 5th 03, 01:30 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Milnes

Don't worry about it Jimbo. It has just been one of those things that suddenly
hits people who have given no thought (because they did not have to) to it. I
think it was because of the large amount of caravanners who liked to roam about
the country in winter and got fed up of having to heat their Butane bottles or
use a more dangerous situation of having the bottles inside the van overnight. I
hope I have been helpful to you with my explanations. Please feel free to let me
know if I have not been helpful to you.

Cheers, Peter.

snipped