Tyre Advise

Old July 6th 06, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
glenn

Default Tyre Advise

Hi All

How do you know if you have a flat spot on your tyres? I have neglected my
van a bit this year due to family problems and not put the wheels on axle
stands. The tyres are only 2 years old and the walls stick look in great
condition.

Many thanks

Glenn

Old July 6th 06, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"glenn" wrote in message
Hi All

How do you know if you have a flat spot on your tyres? I have neglected my
van a bit this year due to family problems and not put the wheels on axle
stands.

snip

Imo ..... most caravan owners don't do this.

Richard

Old July 6th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

glenn wrote:

|| Hi All
|| How do you know if you have a flat spot on your tyres? I have
|| neglected my van a bit this year due to family problems and not put
|| the wheels on axle stands. The tyres are only 2 years old and the
|| walls stick look in great condition.
|| Many thanks
|| Glenn

Hitch up and drive around a bit - if you hear a regular thumping, you have a
flat spot! At that age, the tyres should still be in good condition. I
would have thought that a few months in one position wouldn't do any
permanent damage. We have left ours on the drive in one position for
several months with no ill effects. (I keep meaning to leave the van on
axle stands over winter, with the wheels indoors, but never get round to
it.) If you have a flat spot, move the van 4-6" every day for a week - that
should cure it.

--
Rich
==============================

I don't approve of signatures, so I don't have one.

Old July 6th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old July 6th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old July 7th 06, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy Vines

"glenn" wrote in message
Hi All

How do you know if you have a flat spot on your tyres? I have neglected my
van a bit this year due to family problems and not put the wheels on axle
stands. The tyres are only 2 years old and the walls stick look in great
condition.

Many thanks

Glenn

I read somewhere that you *don't* get flat spots with Radial tyres, and this
comes from the old CrossPly type.