re overdrive on automatic

Old July 9th 06, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The Doctor's Apprentice

Default re overdrive on automatic

It's like an additional gear. Most people I know leave it turned on, but it
might be better turned off when towing.
Never really saw the point of them on an automatic gearbox, they were
originally fitted to manual boxes, but were abolished with the advent of 5th
gear. Do you know how many gears your auto box has? some have five but most
are only 4 and some of the older ones were 3 speed. The o/d will reduce the
fuel consumption, but at the expense of power. all I can suggest is try it.
You may find you have to switch it off when towing, especially uphill.
"richard seed" wrote in message
I've bought a nissan serena diesel 4Wd and it has an overdrive on the
automatic box.,could some kid member of the NG please explain what
this does and when it should be turned off.

Also does anyone have experience of id as a tow car

Thanks
Richard

Old July 9th 06, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

The Doctor's Apprentice wrote:

The o/d will reduce the fuel consumption, but at the expense of power.

In the interests of technical accuracy .... gearing/gearbox changes do
not affect power. Power is purely dependant on the engine.

The overdrive will reduce the output torque and increase the output
speed when engaged.

It's probably safer to say 'may' reduce fuel consumption.

Old July 10th 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Dougal wrote:

|| The Doctor's Apprentice wrote:
||| The o/d will reduce the fuel consumption, but at the expense of
||| power.
|| In the interests of technical accuracy .... gearing/gearbox changes
|| do not affect power. Power is purely dependant on the engine.
|| The overdrive will reduce the output torque and increase the output
|| speed when engaged.
|| It's probably safer to say 'may' reduce fuel consumption.

An overdrive lets the engine run slower for a given speed, and so any
frictional losses from the engine will be reduced. Other factors
(transmission losses, rolling resistance, air resistance etc) are not
affected. This will reduce fuel consumption to a degree, but the amount
will be small, and probably not worth it for the cost of the overdrive.
However, the reduction in noise can be significant - hence the popularity of
them with owners of older Land Rovers.

--
Rich
==============================

I don't approve of signatures, so I don't have one.

Old July 10th 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old July 10th 06, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old July 11th 06, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Richard Brookman
writes
Dougal wrote:

|| The Doctor's Apprentice wrote:
||| The o/d will reduce the fuel consumption, but at the expense of
||| power.
|| In the interests of technical accuracy .... gearing/gearbox changes
|| do not affect power. Power is purely dependant on the engine.
|| The overdrive will reduce the output torque and increase the output
|| speed when engaged.
|| It's probably safer to say 'may' reduce fuel consumption.

An overdrive lets the engine run slower for a given speed, and so any
frictional losses from the engine will be reduced. Other factors
(transmission losses, rolling resistance, air resistance etc) are not
affected. This will reduce fuel consumption to a degree, but the amount
will be small, and probably not worth it for the cost of the overdrive.
However, the reduction in noise can be significant - hence the popularity of
them with owners of older Land Rovers.

If used sensibly the overdrive will certainly give an improvement in
fuel consumption, that is what they are for. They are intended to be
used with 3rd and 4th gear but I must admit I've never come across them
on an automatic before.
--
hugh