Compass with inclinometer for sat finding

Old July 10th 06, 10:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.rec.caravanning

Default Compass with inclinometer for sat finding

Last week I spent an unhappy hour on a camping site surrounded by high
trees trying to find Astra2D, and failing to find a place with a view of
the satellite between the trees. I have *two* compasses.

Does any one know of a *cheap* compass with inclinometer, which I could use
to find out if Astra2D is visible without setting the dish up, and using
the sat finder?
Old July 10th 06, 10:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.rec.caravanning

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
Last week I spent an unhappy hour on a camping site surrounded by high
trees trying to find Astra2D, and failing to find a place with a view of
the satellite between the trees. I have *two* compasses.

Does any one know of a *cheap* compass with inclinometer, which I could
use
to find out if Astra2D is visible without setting the dish up, and using
the sat finder?

I would try Maplins
www.maplin.co.uk

Please reply to News Group

Old July 10th 06, 02:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.rec.caravanning
Bill Wright

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
Last week I spent an unhappy hour on a camping site surrounded by high
trees trying to find Astra2D, and failing to find a place with a view of
the satellite between the trees. I have *two* compasses.

Does any one know of a *cheap* compass with inclinometer, which I could
use
to find out if Astra2D is visible without setting the dish up, and using
the sat finder?

Regarding the elevation angle, it changes little unless you go a long way
from home. In the early days I had a small spirit level with a wedge shaped
piece of plywood fixed to it. Sighting along two nails on the top surface
was perfectly good enough.

Bill