Caravan & Camping on the cheap

Old July 10th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
John & Lisa

Default Caravan & Camping on the cheap

There's an apocryphal story about a couple who drive their caravan round the
M25 for a week, stopping at travel inns, without realising it's a circular
road. They must have been American, because this tale has virtually come
true in the States, in the form of "Wal-Mart camping". The campers - usually
retirees who endlessly tour America in enormous RVs (recreational
vehicles) - drive from car park to car park, in order to stay the night for
free.

They eschew beauty spots, and head for the 24-hour provisions, toilets and
security at Wal-Mart.

There's a book, The Wal-Mart Locator, and web forums dedicated to logging
enjoyable experiences.

It may sound soulless but the nomads justify it on grounds of convenience:
"Sometimes we pull into a town at midnight," says one on Roaming Times. "We
just need to sleep five or six hours, then get back on the road."

With uncharacteristic generosity, the world's biggest retailer tacitly
condones them, assuming that they'll be tempted to shop. Not all Wal-Marts
allow it though, and those that do keep it low-key - as do the campers:
"Don't roll out the carpet and put out lawn furniture or you'll ruin it for
everyone," says one.

But why would British tourists want to cross the Atlantic to sleep in a
supermarket car park? Joe Mann, a 24-year-old Londoner, is planning a
Wal-Mart camping trip for September: "We're doing it to save money, although
it also seems like the most American way to see America. There is an irony
in sharing a great big corporate car park with a bunch of true RV-ers."

If adventure holidays, Faliraki or package tours fail to appeal this
summer - you know what to do.

http://www.gmails.co.uk/forums/showt...?p=589#post589

--
John
GMails - The Caravan & Camping bit of the web

Old July 10th 06, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Mary Fisher

"John & Lisa" wrote in message
There's an apocryphal story about a couple who drive their caravan round
the
M25 for a week, stopping at travel inns, without realising it's a circular
road. They must have been American, because this tale has virtually come
true in the States, in the form of "Wal-Mart camping". The campers -
usually
retirees who endlessly tour America in enormous RVs (recreational
vehicles) - drive from car park to car park, in order to stay the night
for
free.

If that's true it makes me wonder even more about my fellow man!

Still, everyone needs a hobby.

A tour of car parks.

shudder

Mary

Old July 10th 06, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
John & Lisa

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

If that's true it makes me wonder even more about my fellow man!

Still, everyone needs a hobby.

A tour of car parks.

shudder

Mary

----------------

I can't quite imagine us setting up the BBQ in the local ASDA car park.
I like to see some grass, not shopping trolleys.

Old July 10th 06, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.motorcaravans
Smudge Smith

What is the point of this post? It looks to me like a statement from J&L and
then a personal opinion from Mary. No content that coud be construed has
having any particular relevance that could modify or enhance anyones
caravanning activity.
I know they call them nesgroups but 'news' is a bit of a misnomer...perhaps
they should rename them Q& A groups?

Either way I'm sure that J& L & M will comment that I don't have to read it
if I don't want to...Perhaps they wouldn't object to them giving me a second
telephone line into their house and let me listen in on their
conversations...afyer all, I don't want to listen if I don't want to...but
then they may just say something that is interesting