Carry On Camping

Old July 10th 06, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning
John & Lisa

Default Carry On Camping

Just spent the last half hour or so doing some research on the classic file,
"Carry on Camping".

Did you know...

Chayste Place Girls' School from the film can actually be found at the car
park side of the administration building at Pinewood Studios.Paradise Camp
Site was played by the orchard at Pinewood Studios, while the entrance where
Mr Fiddler has a P was "Juniper Beeches" in Burnham Beeches, Bucks.The shop
where Sid and Bernie buy their camping equipment is the now defunct Courts
branch in Maidenhead.
The Potters, Joan and her mother all lived on Pinewood Green estate,
opposite Pinewood Studios.
The Potters' house is on nearby Pinewood Close.

Links to Google Earth are posted on Gmails...
http://www.gmails.co.uk/forums/showt...?p=591#post591
--
John
GMails - The Caravan & Camping bit of the web

Old July 10th 06, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning
Smudge Smith

Thanks for sharing that info, John

Saved me the bother having to look it up. Lets hope that Carry on Camping
trivia comes up at the next pub quiz. Ta

Old July 13th 06, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.media.films.carry-on
anonimulo

In uk.rec.camping on Monday 10 July 2006 18:38, John & Lisa wrote:

Just spent the last half hour or so doing some research on the classic
file, "Carry on Camping".

Did you know...

Chayste Place Girls' School from the film can actually be found at the car
park side of the administration building at Pinewood Studios.Paradise Camp
Site was played by the orchard at Pinewood Studios, while the entrance
where Mr Fiddler has a P was "Juniper Beeches" in Burnham Beeches,
Bucks.The shop where Sid and Bernie buy their camping equipment is the now
defunct Courts branch in Maidenhead.

This brings back memories. A few years ago I actually visited some of these
locations, to kill a day between two events I was attending in the home
counties.

If anyone is having a look at the Maidstone shop they should also have a
look at the nearby town hall, just up the site street where Sid and Bernie
parked their van. This was the hospital in many of the doctor/nurse films,
and the university in "Carry on Behind" (the much less remarkable remake of
Carry on Camping). The last I heard it was slated for demolition.

The butcher's shop in Carry on Behind is now a sun-tanning studio in Farnham
Common. The parade of shops still looks the same.

The Potters, Joan and her mother all lived on Pinewood Green estate,
opposite Pinewood Studios.

I had a drive around there and it is totally changed. Two or three cars in
front of every house, and speed humps. The place also looks a lot smaller
than on film.

The Potters' house is on nearby Pinewood Close.

The country lanes, where the Potters first encounter Charlie Muggins, and
where Sid drives around looking for the camp site, are at the back of
Pinewood Studios and still look similar.

The cinema is in Iver, about 5 miles to the west, IIRC.

Old July 14th 06, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.camping,uk.rec.caravanning,uk.media.films.carry-on
Aaron

anonimulo wrote:
In uk.rec.camping on Monday 10 July 2006 18:38, John & Lisa wrote:

Just spent the last half hour or so doing some research on the classic
file, "Carry on Camping".

Did you know...

Chayste Place Girls' School from the film can actually be found at the car
park side of the administration building at Pinewood Studios.Paradise Camp
Site was played by the orchard at Pinewood Studios, while the entrance
where Mr Fiddler has a P was "Juniper Beeches" in Burnham Beeches,
Bucks.The shop where Sid and Bernie buy their camping equipment is the now
defunct Courts branch in Maidenhead.

Ah, lovingly ripped from carryonline.com, I see.

Anyway. That 'administration building' deserves more of a mention. It
is in fact the old Manor House upon whose estate Pinewood Studios are
built. It can also be seen as the mansion in Carry On Up The Khyber.

I was under the impression that the camp site was in Black Park,
although I suppose that Pinewood's orchard is just as likely.

As for the entrance, I can't say I've ever heard of this "Juniper
Beeches", and I'm not convinced it was in Burnham Beeches anyway -
doesn't appear to be anywhere near wooded enough.
I have read, and believe, that it was probably one of the back
entrances to the Pinewood Studios estate.

Oh, and that ex-Courts shop is now one selling fireplaces, IIRC.

This brings back memories. A few years ago I actually visited some of these
locations, to kill a day between two events I was attending in the home
counties.

If anyone is having a look at the Maidstone shop they should also have a
look at the nearby town hall, just up the site street where Sid and Bernie
parked their van. This was the hospital in many of the doctor/nurse films,
and the university in "Carry on Behind" (the much less remarkable remake of
Carry on Camping). The last I heard it was slated for demolition.

I think you mean Maidenhead.
.... But yes. It's just down the street which that shop is on the corner
of. And has now been saved from demolition.

The butcher's shop in Carry on Behind is now a sun-tanning studio in Farnham
Common. The parade of shops still looks the same.

And there's a bloody lovely Chinese restaurant next door. The Dragon
Inn.