Problems with fridge on 12v

Old July 12th 06, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

Default Problems with fridge on 12v

My first impression was that my fridge was not working from the S
socket, so I spent yesterday afternoon chasing the wiring through. It
is all correctly wired and I have a good earth, plus I have a very
good main feed.
Initially using the multimeter with the engine running I had 14.68v
across each circuit that should have had 12v, and without the engine
running I had 12.75 v across the permanently live circuit and 0v on
the other circuits. I noticed that if I plugged the s plug in with the
top part off so that I could get at the pins inside that I then had 0v
on the fridge circuit ( I did not try the others ) with the engine
running, this was when I suspected the earth in the car and main feed.
Once I had redone the main feed and the earth all of a sudden the
fridge worked, so I packed everything up and just before I put the car
away I tried again, no fridge. I checked all the connecters again and
still had no fridge so I gave up.
Today I tried again, no fridge, then I wired a direct supply to the
fridge and it worked, so I reconnected the relay and tried again this
time the fridge worked. I cleared up and then restarted the car the
fridge did not work, so I left the engine running and unplugged the s
splug, then replugged it and the fridge worked.
I am now in the situation where If the fridge does not work I can get
it to work by unplugging the s plug and replugging ( The S plug is a
new one, another of my trials to sort the problem out ).
Can anyone point me in the direction of where I might find the fault,
is it likely to be in the relay, I replaced the relay a couple of
years ago when I had fridge problems previously. If I replace the
relay would I be better with a voltage saensing relay?

Bill Lord

Old July 12th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:32:38 +0100, bill lord wrote:

|My first impression was that my fridge was not working from the S
|socket, so I spent yesterday afternoon chasing the wiring through. It
|is all correctly wired and I have a good earth, plus I have a very
|good main feed.

I assume that the fridge does not work on 12V, even though it probably
does. I thought that 12V only kept a cool fridge cool at best. Put a
freezer pack in the freezer compartment, Get it good and cold at home, or
on site, with 240V or LPG, It stays cool enough during a days drive
between/to/from sites.
Old July 12th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 12th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 12th 06, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

|| I assume that the fridge does not work on 12V, even though it
|| probably does. I thought that 12V only kept a cool fridge cool at
|| best.

The problem with running on 12v is that it's on or off - there's no
thermostat to bring a bit of common sense to the party. On my previous car,
a day's run on 12v would have the milk half-frozen. With the present car,
the butter melts! I reckon it's all down to the supply from the car (which
I am having problems with at the moment).

--
Rich
==============================

I don't approve of signatures, so I don't have one.

Old July 12th 06, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old July 12th 06, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old July 12th 06, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

I thought that 12V only kept a cool fridge cool at best.

Not unless they have become more useless over the years. On long
journeys I am well on my way to the 'fridge acting as a freezer (there
is no temperature control on 12v by design in my system).

The cooling part of the system is common regardless of the power
source (which just provides heat) so problems on a particular power
source suggests where to look.

If not efficient on 12v I'd be investigating the 12v supply/earth.
Bill's looking in the right place.