The annual two weeks.

Old July 13th 06, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Default The annual two weeks.

Hi,

I thought some of you might like a write up on our (nearly) two weeks
away touring in the caravan.

The usual for us complete chaos with nothing planned and not even a
direction in mind until we actually rolled. 'Scotland' said she, two
years ago though we actually ended up in Cornwall. So this time we did
actually aim north from Yorkshire up towards Scotland.

We drifted slowly up on the Friday after dinner, fish and chips on a
quiet road in the 'van just a couple of miles from home. Then steady
progress north on the A1 till we got to A68, then we followed that up
through Northumberland, on to Edinburgh over the Forth Bridge. We got
as far as Stirling and having got up early the Friday morning, I
decided I had had enough and started looking for somewhere to stop for
the night at around 2 in the morning. We found a well organised pull in
with cafe and toilets (somewhere) and didn't see the tiny 'no overnight
stops sign until early the next morning - early because of the noise of
traffic on the adjacent main road.

On to the big sea front site at Oban, a site I have not visited for 30
years and owned by a family friend. All highly organised and large -
too well organised for our taste. We like small sites, the ones run as
a side line rather than as a business, park where it suits, go when you
like. Oban (the area) is very expensive and with a dog there was
nowhere we could find to enjoy a sit down meal, so we ended up with
fish and chips again on the harbour wall watching the sun slowly set.

After two nights there we moved on to a developing site in the
mountains, behind a petrol station near Glenshields. Spoiled for us by
no choice but hard standing if you wanted EL and returning 'home' the
second night we spotted several pikey types in a lay-by opposite the
site so we decided it was prudent to move again. Border Collie loved
the site, it had a mountain stream and she loves water, a real fight to
keep her out of the bath or shower. Chasing her tail at high speed in
the stream and dunking her head under the surface to blow bubbles and
find the plug in order to let the water out - then she discovered
sheep.

On up to the northern end of Loch Ness, a site based at a riding school
for the disabled just a few miles south of Drumnadrochet, north of
Urquhart Castle. It had several hard standing pitches up at the high
level and a larger field by the road side. We chose the latter and as
far away from the road as we could get, the only part supplied by EL
points, but we ended up surrounded by small tents each evening with the
rest of the field empty. Why do some campers need such company and
congregate in an area obviously intended for those with need for EL?
The facilities for that lower field were really grotty, as admitted by
the site owners. Our 9 month old border collie ended up making lots of
friends going round each camper in turn scrounging tit bits and
teaching them to throw a ball for her to fetch. As this was only her
second trip out in the caravan and the first time we would be driving
such long distances, we weren't quite sure how she would react. We
needn't have worried she took it all in her stride, a perfectly relaxed
traveller.

Wonder lust struck again after another three nights, so we headed up
further north with the intention of surprising a friend in Banffshire.
Unfortunately we got there and could neither remember the address nor
phone number. We toured several sites in the area, all either full or
not suiting our needs then ended up on a CL site close to
Urquhart(asp?) (Elgin) with just basic water and EL points - the
cheapest so far by a good 50% and wonderfully quiet.

After another couple of nights we decided to head back for England, the
north east coast as we had spent some enjoyable time there in the past.
Doing a slow meandering tour back over the Cairngorms, over the top
with a 15 footer on tow. Absolutely not something for the timid or
inexperienced in caravan towing to tackle, or with a less powerful tug.
I got to one particular hump back bridge in the middle of the
Cairngorms where the hump was very sharp. No going back so I had to try
it very, very slowly to see if it would clear the peak - it did, just.
The weather on that Monday was horrific, a complete contrast to the
rest of our two weeks. Heavy rain, flooded roads and some really tight
mountainous bends to contend with. The cracked sky light started
letting in lots of water, so it was out with the duct tape between
rainstorms, to try to hold it together.

We overnighted in a site near North Berwick, ending up late evening on
what looked like a superficially nice site, but with horribly municiple
looking toilets and showers. No doors, bare painted brick walls, just
curtains, that terrible hard toilet paper from the 1960's and the most
expensive site of the entire trip at nearly 19 a night.

From there we again headed slowly south and we must have picked (for
us) a poor choice of roads because all we could find were large sites
with clubs and etc.. It got to 1 am, so I decided to opt for just a
quite place to park for the night and that turned out to be a sea front
car park at Seaton Carew.

Woken early by the comings and goings of the early morning dog walkers
cars, we moved on early - down to Runswick Bay. A good clean well
looked after quiet site, reasonable quality facilities and a choose
your own pitch attitude if have the cheek to ask. We do.

Now why doesn't someone write up a fully comprehensive list of all
sites, where it is easy to find a local one, of all types, including an
honest review of the type of site and the quality of its facilities?

Oh well, back to the grind stone :-(

Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Old July 14th 06, 07:37 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

on 14/07/2006, Mary Fisher supposed :
Well, while I was reading your account I wondered why you weren't giving the
names of the sites - good and bad - not just near where they were. I
certainly would want to avoid some of the ones you mention :-)

I didn't take a note of the site names or addresses. They were the only
ones in the area so difficult to mistake.

Old July 14th 06, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

Geoff wrote :

Your 'diary' makes interesting reading, and is different from us who have
found it neccessary to pre-book, arrive, explore locally, and return home
again, mainly because of a narrow time slot in the school holidays (work, and
sharing care of parents).

I have never in all the time I have had caravans pre-booked. The
nearest to pre-booking is a quick call half an hour before we arrive at
a site.

Returning to 'the caravan', if I remember rightly it was new to you only a
few weeks ago. How did you get on with it?

Lots of niggles and some quite serious problems, but nothing which
affected our holiday (other than the roof light leak) thanks. We have
been trying to get the dealer to respond to these issues, without any
success so far.

Old July 14th 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
Hi,

I thought some of you might like a write up on our (nearly) two weeks away
touring in the caravan.

I enjoyed it, thanks.

Now why doesn't someone write up a fully comprehensive list of all sites,
where it is easy to find a local one, of all types, including an honest
review of the type of site and the quality of its facilities?

Well, while I was reading your account I wondered why you weren't giving the
names of the sites - good and bad - not just near where they were. I
certainly would want to avoid some of the ones you mention :-)

I hope your collie behaved herself with the sheep ...

Oh well, back to the grind stone :-(

It's a hard life :-)

Mary