Can you "electrics wizards" advise?

Old July 21st 06, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike Marsh

Default Can you "electrics wizards" advise?

I have a year 2004 caravan with all the "modern" electrical systems,
including an "on board" battery charger.

I want to use a solar panel to charge the battery when there is no "Mains
hook-up" available.

I gather the standard procedure is to connect the solar panel directly to
the battery terminals via a "charge regulator"; while the battery is still
connected to the caravan supply, which sounds very easy.

However, I am concerned that by so doing there is a possibility of the solar
panel some how affecting the fragile electrical components within the "on
board" battery charger.

Should there be some sort of switching or protecting circuitry to ensure the
solar panel doesn't damage the "on board" charger?

Many thanks - Mike

Old July 21st 06, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Mike Marsh" wrote in message
I have a year 2004 caravan with all the "modern" electrical systems,
including an "on board" battery charger.

I want to use a solar panel to charge the battery when there is no "Mains
hook-up" available.

I gather the standard procedure is to connect the solar panel directly to
the battery terminals via a "charge regulator"; while the battery is still
connected to the caravan supply, which sounds very easy.

However, I am concerned that by so doing there is a possibility of the
solar panel some how affecting the fragile electrical components within
the "on board" battery charger.

Should there be some sort of switching or protecting circuitry to ensure
the solar panel doesn't damage the "on board" charger?

Many thanks - Mike

The fragile components of the charger are only fragile when subjected to
spikes from unregulated generators. The 12V side is quite stable.

Cheers

Old July 21st 06, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Colin Legg

"Mike Marsh" wrote in message
I have a year 2004 caravan with all the "modern" electrical systems,
including an "on board" battery charger.

I want to use a solar panel to charge the battery when there is no "Mains
hook-up" available.

I gather the standard procedure is to connect the solar panel directly to
the battery terminals via a "charge regulator"; while the battery is still
connected to the caravan supply, which sounds very easy.

However, I am concerned that by so doing there is a possibility of the
solar panel some how affecting the fragile electrical components within
the "on board" battery charger.

Should there be some sort of switching or protecting circuitry to ensure
the solar panel doesn't damage the "on board" charger?

Many thanks - Mike
The charge regulator contains the necessary protection that the battery and
on board charger need.

Old July 22nd 06, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doc

Mike Marsh wrote:
snip
I want to use a solar panel to charge the battery when there is no "Mains
hook-up" available.

I gather the standard procedure is to connect the solar panel directly to
the battery terminals via a "charge regulator"; while the battery is still
connected to the caravan supply, which sounds very easy.

snip
Many thanks - Mike

Hi Mike, I use a 22W solar panel to maintin two 85Ahr batteries in
fully charged state when the 'van is in the storage compound.

I use an IPC charge controller which is connected straight to the
batteries, which works fine. Battery voltage was ~14V when I checked
this morning. No switching is necessary, the Sterling battery charger
being completely unaffected.

Cheers, Doc.