Newbie-Thetford cassette warning

« LMC | Topgear »

Old July 22nd 06, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Aiden

Default Newbie-Thetford cassette warning

New to the caravanning experience and have just returned from first
week away - brilliant - loved it - towing seemed no problem - kept the
weights according to advice.

While travelling We did leave the flush tank on cassetee toilet
partially full with no apparent problems - but now we read in the
instructions that we must always empty the flush before travel as it
may damage the caravan.

Can anyone please explain - very wasteful of precious water, and time
for that matter, to keep emptying each time we move - why this is
necessary and has anyone had a problem travelling with it full?

Thanks and we'll keep watching this ng :-}

Old July 22nd 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:17:03 +0100, Aiden
wrote:

|New to the caravanning experience and have just returned from first
|week away - brilliant - loved it - towing seemed no problem - kept the
|weights according to advice.
|
|While travelling We did leave the flush tank on cassetee toilet
|partially full with no apparent problems - but now we read in the
|instructions that we must always empty the flush before travel as it
|may damage the caravan.
|
|Can anyone please explain - very wasteful of precious water, and time
|for that matter, to keep emptying each time we move - why this is
|necessary and has anyone had a problem travelling with it full?
|
|Thanks and we'll keep watching this ng :-}

We always travel with the flush tank half full so that we can use the
toilet en route. No problems over the last eight years.

I empty the waste tank before moving, and prime it with green and some
flush water again so we can use it en route.

Old July 22nd 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 22nd 06, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 22nd 06, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Long tall ugly

wrote:

New to the caravanning experience and have just returned from first
week away - brilliant - loved it - towing seemed no problem - kept the
weights according to advice.

While travelling We did leave the flush tank on cassetee toilet
partially full with no apparent problems - but now we read in the
instructions that we must always empty the flush before travel as it
may damage the caravan.

Can anyone please explain - very wasteful of precious water, and time
for that matter, to keep emptying each time we move - why this is
necessary and has anyone had a problem travelling with it full?

Thanks and we'll keep watching this ng :-}

The only thing Ican think of is the weight... I think 5ltr of water
weighs about 10lb and a full flush tank is 15 litres ? 30lbs?
it would be a big lump of weight
(possibly unstable)
at (in my case)the back corner of the van....not good
having said that I like most have a litre or so in the flush/receiver
tanks for use enroute but I would not consider any mor than that

John

Old July 22nd 06, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

wrote:

Can anyone please explain - very wasteful of precious water, and time
for that matter, to keep emptying each time we move - why this is
necessary and has anyone had a problem travelling with it full?

We never had any qulams about travelling with whatever water was in
the flush tank, as far as towing was concerned it didn't seem to make
any difference. The only times I had any problems came when I set off
before I had planned to and the flush tank was very hearly full, on
two occasions we stopped for lunch and found that the toilet bowl was
full of pink fluid and that some had spilled over into the shower
tray. Mind you since both times we had stopped for lunch we also found
that in the afternoon no more fluid had overflowed into the bowl so I
think it was just a problem of a full flush tank as opposed to a half
empty one.
It can't happen on our present van as the flush is taken directly from
the main water feed to the caravan.

Bill Lord