Electrical Fault

Old July 23rd 06, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Guest

Default Electrical Fault

Have a Coachman Mirage 500/5 1996

Got a strange fault
When battery supply off and mains connected 12 volt circuit dead
If battery select on Van then all bar Fridge and outside light works
If on car all seems to work
Battery will not charge from mains

Any ideas

Old July 23rd 06, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

wrote in message ...
Have a Coachman Mirage 500/5 1996

Got a strange fault
When battery supply off and mains connected 12 volt circuit dead
If battery select on Van then all bar Fridge and outside light works
If on car all seems to work
Battery will not charge from mains

Any ideas

Possibilities:

Fuse gone on charger unit (mains side)
Charger turned off - mine has an illumionate reocker switch
Fuse gone in cable from charger to battery

I would not expect fridge to work on 12v unless car connected.

Good luck

Mike

Old July 23rd 06, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

wrote in message ...
Have a Coachman Mirage 500/5 1996

Got a strange fault
When battery supply off and mains connected 12 volt circuit dead
If battery select on Van then all bar Fridge and outside light works
If on car all seems to work
Battery will not charge from mains

Any ideas

Charger not working, I think. When you put the selector to van, then battery
is supplying the power. The fridge 12V system is entirely seperate on you
age of van and will only work from the car. On site the fridge should be on
mains or gas. The outside light could be a switch or bulb problem and a bit
of a red herring.

On car, I presume with the car attached and running, then I can understand
all, except the outside light. That cannot happen if its wired correctly.

Cheers

Old July 24th 06, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

Do you have a charger ? if not this is the answer if yes it could be
faulty. When we had our first van we had this. We had assumed the battery
would charge itself up they do not. Problem was we had no charger fitted to
the van. Remember fridge does not work from caravn 12v it works direct from
the car via the cable from car to van during towing via a relayand should
not be run this wat when parked up . When you plug van into car everything
should work.

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD