Previa 98 auto as Towcar?

Old July 23rd 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capt T

Default Previa 98 auto as Towcar?

Any Previa owners can give me their opinion as a Towcar and what mpg solo/
towing /urban
I can expect?Its the 98 auto gs model

Thanks

Old August 8th 06, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
terrytec

I have a 1997 Previa GS Auto
I have had no problems with it.
The 85% rule would enable it to tow about 2100kg, however the manual says it
has a towing limit of 1600kg.
I have had a an Elddis Jetstream (17feet+) single axle and now have a Lunar
Lexon EW, twin axle, which has a quoted all up maximum of 1600kg, which I
try to keep to.
I do notice that I have a van on the back when I am towing, but it will
cruise comfortably at 60 mph, though it does 'hunt' through the gears a bit,
especially in a head wind.
Consumption seems to be quite steady at about 3 miles to the litre -
compared with 4 - 6 miles to the litre for normal driving. strangely this
towing consumption appears the same whether with or against the wind, and
for both caravans. This is mostly motorway driving.
As I am paranoid about engine overheating, (I had a cabin heater matrix hose
'go' on a Renault Espace, which spewed high temperature water over my wifes
feet, while she was driving on a motorway [Why do these disasters always
happen whenthe wife is driving?]) I made sure that the radiator is clear (in
fact replaced the radiator core 2 years ago). I also fitted a transmisson
cooler from Kenlowe, though I think that was for peace of mind rather than
need.
It is of course a lovely car to drive either with or without the caravan.
Hope that is helpful.

Terry