Caravan accidents

Old July 23rd 06, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Default Caravan accidents

Just got back from a wedding in Cornwall, and a 600-mile round trip by
motorway and A-road.

Three caravans stopped by the road with punctures. One caravan and car well
over in a ditch, cause unknown. And one I didn't see, thanks to advance
warning and a diversion, the A30 blocked for several hours owing to an
overturned caravan.

Even taking into account the dates, the good weather and the location (all
of which mean there are a lot of caravans about), this looks like a lot of
accidents to me. Like one per 120 miles.

--
Rich
==============================

I don't approve of signatures, so I don't have one.

Old July 23rd 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Richard Brookman came up with the following;:
Just got back from a wedding in Cornwall, and a 600-mile round trip by
motorway and A-road.

Three caravans stopped by the road with punctures. One caravan and car
well over in a ditch, cause unknown. And one I didn't see, thanks to
advance warning and a diversion, the A30 blocked for several hours owing
to an overturned caravan.

Even taking into account the dates, the good weather and the location (all
of which mean there are a lot of caravans about), this looks like a lot of
accidents to me. Like one per 120 miles.

So, what's your point?

Or is the point to score points by showing how observant you are of other
peoples misfortune?

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old July 23rd 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Paul - xxx wrote:

|| Richard Brookman came up with the following;:
||| Just got back from a wedding in Cornwall, and a 600-mile round trip
||| by motorway and A-road.
||| Three caravans stopped by the road with punctures. One caravan and
||| car well over in a ditch, cause unknown. And one I didn't see,
||| thanks to advance warning and a diversion, the A30 blocked for
||| several hours owing to an overturned caravan.
||| Even taking into account the dates, the good weather and the
||| location (all of which mean there are a lot of caravans about),
||| this looks like a lot of accidents to me. Like one per 120 miles.
|| So, what's your point?

There was a debate on here a while back, where some were claiming that
caravanners were a careful bunch and never had accidents or tyre failure,
while others said that caravanners were hopeless and were massively
over-represented in the accident statistics. (I'm paraphrasing here.) It
just seemed to me to be an astonishingly high number to see in a single
weekend: more of an observation than a "point" as such.

|| Or is the point to score points by showing how observant you are of
|| other peoples misfortune?

Not at all. I'm a caravanner myself and I felt sorry for every one of them.
But on that one journey, perhaps 12 hours on the road in pretty heavy
traffic - one minor shunt in a slow-moving queue, one car with a flat tyre,
two breakdowns being attended by the AA, nothing involving motorhomes, vans,
lorries or motorbikes, and *five* incidents involving caravans, one
obviously major. It made me wonder why.

--
Rich
==============================

I don't approve of signatures, so I don't have one.

Old July 23rd 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old July 23rd 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old July 23rd 06, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Smudge Smith

..
But on that one journey, perhaps 12 hours on the road in pretty heavy
traffic - one minor shunt in a slow-moving queue, one car with a flat
tyre, two breakdowns being attended by the AA, nothing involving
motorhomes, vans, lorries or motorbikes, and *five* incidents involving
caravans, one obviously major. It made me wonder why.

Punctures and breakdowns do not signify poor driving. Just the law of
averages catching up with these poor unfortunates.

During my motorcycling days I was involved in 7 accidents two... of which I
was hospitalised. All caused by someone else.