Breakaway cable

Old July 24th 06, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geo

Default Breakaway cable

Ok, just come back from a weekend away and done something stupid, that
I nearly do everytime I unhitch, drove off with the breakaway cable
still attached. This has bent the clip on the cable, looks like it's
designed to deform like this, can I just bend it back or does the cable
need to be replaced ?

It has also damaged the front of the A-frame, a small tab of the frame
has been bent forward and cracked the plastic cover, I can't see how
this has happend, can only guess the cable was incorrectly routed
underneath the cover.

Old July 24th 06, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Geo came up with the following;:
Ok, just come back from a weekend away and done something stupid, that
I nearly do everytime I unhitch, drove off with the breakaway cable
still attached. This has bent the clip on the cable, looks like it's
designed to deform like this, can I just bend it back or does the cable
need to be replaced ?

Replace the cable. They're designed to pull the caravan brakes on fully,
then break away from the car and 'van so they don't get dragged along as
two, connected by wire, separate pieces.

If you bend the wire or it's hook back into shape and re-use it, there's a
chance that if/when you need it again it might not have enough strength to
apply the brakes before breaking away ... they only cost about a fiver and
it's a very, very good thing to have new. IMHO.

It has also damaged the front of the A-frame, a small tab of the frame
has been bent forward and cracked the plastic cover, I can't see how
this has happend, can only guess the cable was incorrectly routed
underneath the cover.

Does the tab and cover actually do anything? You might need to see a dealer
or 'caravan expert' to get it checked out.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old July 24th 06, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BILL

"Geo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, just come back from a weekend away and done something stupid, that
I nearly do everytime I unhitch, drove off with the breakaway cable
still attached. This has bent the clip on the cable, looks like it's
designed to deform like this, can I just bend it back or does the cable
need to be replaced ?

It has also damaged the front of the A-frame, a small tab of the frame
has been bent forward and cracked the plastic cover, I can't see how
this has happend, can only guess the cable was incorrectly routed
underneath the cover.

Been there done that Etc. I did rebend the hook then had second thoughts and
bought a new cable ,for just a few pounds, it takes away the worryof wether
its going to work or not. it is a safety device and not worth taking any
risks with.

Old July 24th 06, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On 24 Jul 2006 07:57:49 -0700, "Geo" wrote:

|Ok, just come back from a weekend away and done something stupid, that
|I nearly do everytime I unhitch, drove off with the breakaway cable
|still attached. This has bent the clip on the cable, looks like it's
|designed to deform like this, can I just bend it back or does the cable
|need to be replaced ?

Been there, done that, bought a new one
New breakaway cables are cheap and commonly available.
Get and fit a new one

Old July 24th 06, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 24th 06, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning