caravan dwelling

Old July 25th 06, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leky

Default caravan dwelling

Hello, would anyone know if its unlawful to use a caravan as a dwelling
on your drive? My mum is 67 and finding living alone increasingly
difficult, I was wondering if it may be an option to buy a caravan for
her to live on my drive?

I live in a semi detached on a main road, on the other side of my house
is a farmers field, my neighbours have a caravan on their drive -
though nobody dwells in it.

I would really appreciate some advice before I look into this further.

Thanks.

Old July 25th 06, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On 25 Jul 2006 12:26:27 -0700, "Leky" wrote:

|Hello, would anyone know if its unlawful to use a caravan as a dwelling
|on your drive? My mum is 67 and finding living alone increasingly
|difficult, I was wondering if it may be an option to buy a caravan for
|her to live on my drive?
|
|I live in a semi detached on a main road, on the other side of my house
|is a farmers field, my neighbours have a caravan on their drive -
|though nobody dwells in it.
|
|I would really appreciate some advice before I look into this further.

I actually did use my caravan as a sort of extra bedroom for a lad who
stayed with us for a while. Someone complained to the council planning
dept who called it a *Residential Caravan* and threatened us with
enforcement notices and so on. Luckily I only had to string them along
for a couple of months, so I got away with it.

See the local planning dept before doing anything.
Old July 25th 06, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 25th 06, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 25th 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Craig Oilfield

On 25 Jul 2006 12:26:27 -0700, "Leky" wrote:

Hello, would anyone know if its unlawful to use a caravan as a dwelling
on your drive? My mum is 67 and finding living alone increasingly
difficult, I was wondering if it may be an option to buy a caravan for
her to live on my drive?

I live in a semi detached on a main road, on the other side of my house
is a farmers field, my neighbours have a caravan on their drive -
though nobody dwells in it.

I would really appreciate some advice before I look into this further.

Thanks.

"A householder is entitled to use caravans as extra accommodation without
planning permission, provided that the occupants continue to use the house,
for example, the kitchen or bathroom. If, on the other hand, a caravan is
there for another purpose not incidental to the enjoyment of the main
dwelling, known as the dwelling house—for example, it is inhabited quite
separately from, and independently of, the dwelling house—planning
permission for change of use of the land would, generally speaking, be
required. As it would result in the creation of a new planning unit, such
permission may well not be granted in a residential area. If a caravan was
being used in connection with a commercial purpose, the local planning
authority may decide that an unauthorised change of use of land had
occurred, for which planning permission should be sought. "
http://www.publications.parliament.u...t/51122-41.htm

--

Paul Rooney

"Rooney is one of these vandals and has done his utmost to help trash dl and the
other groups which he regularly crossposts to. He's created a false FAQ
and charter" (Chris Lawrence in uk.rec.walking)

"Also long time d.l. reader but never feel robust enough to post much,
especially since Rooney wrecked the group." (Rachel Sullivan in uk.rec.walking)

Old July 25th 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Craig Oilfield

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:43:30 +0100, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On 25 Jul 2006 12:26:27 -0700, "Leky" wrote:

|Hello, would anyone know if its unlawful to use a caravan as a dwelling
|on your drive? My mum is 67 and finding living alone increasingly
|difficult, I was wondering if it may be an option to buy a caravan for
|her to live on my drive?
|
|I live in a semi detached on a main road, on the other side of my house
|is a farmers field, my neighbours have a caravan on their drive -
|though nobody dwells in it.
|
|I would really appreciate some advice before I look into this further.

I actually did use my caravan as a sort of extra bedroom for a lad who
stayed with us for a while. Someone complained to the council planning
dept who called it a *Residential Caravan* and threatened us with
enforcement notices and so on. Luckily I only had to string them along
for a couple of months, so I got away with it.

See the local planning dept before doing anything.

You should have told them to get lost. See above quote.

Old July 25th 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Craig Oilfield

Old July 25th 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Craig Oilfield