tire for only 10 km by year

Old July 26th 06, 05:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Rasmus

Default tire for only 10 km by year

Hello,

I need to buy a new tire 185 65 R15 for my caravan (that never goes on
roads but only 10 kms per year by Dirt track) ; do you know if I can use
a tire for car or do I must buy a special tire for caravan?

Thank you,
Ras' (from France)
Old July 26th 06, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

Rasmus wrote:

Hello,

I need to buy a new tire 185 65 R15 for my caravan (that never goes on
roads but only 10 kms per year by Dirt track) ; do you know if I can
use a tire for car or do I must buy a special tire for caravan?

Thank you,
Ras' (from France)

Since you're posting in UK.rec.caravanning, you need a TYRE rather than a
tire!

A lot depends on the weight of the caravan. Every tyre carries a 2-digit
load index number which indicates the maximum load which it can support.
Caravans often need heavier duty tyres than cars because all the weight is
carried on just two tyres rather than four.

Tyres come in standard ratings for cars or re-inforced, 6-ply rated or 8-ply
rated for caravans and commercial vehicles - with progressively higher load
index numbers. What do your current tyres say? There will be the 2-digit
number, immediately followed by a speed index letter - e.g. 88T.

In order to be legal for *road* use in UK (and probably in the rest of
Europe) you need tyres which are adequately rated for the weight of vehicle
(or trailer) and the speed at which it will travel.

For off-road use in France, you may not be subject to the same legal
requirements, but you presumably don't want to suffer too many blowouts - so
it would be wise to use the 'proper' tyres for the job.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old July 30th 06, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
ecky-h

Hin Ras,
A few years ago when I worked for Firestone tyres, we were making and
supplying a tyre for Bluebird caravans of Poole in Dorset, this tyre was not
for use on the public highway, only for getting the caravans onto a lorry
trailor and towing on site.....This was the mobile home type van, and not
the road type, that one pulls behind a car....As far as I know this is still
the same, so if that's all you want it for then try going direct to the
manufactures, Goodyear, Firestone, Dunlop, etc, I know these were a very
cheap tyre at the time,because there was no steel bands in them and could
be fitted to the rims very easily. I must stress, DO NOT take on to the
public highway with this type tyre.
Regards.
Rick.