Fridge questions and request

Old September 11th 03, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Sullivan

Default Fridge questions and request

I am the owner of a 1979 Abbey GT414 van. My EL RM212 3-way fridge is
presenting me with what appears to be an insoluble problem. The fridge
works well on 240 volts, but I have a problem with gas operation. Even
when the pilot light burns brightly, and heat is apparent from the
outside flue, the fridge will not cool down. I have spent upwards of
150 pounds in 'repair' costs by 3 different repairers, and although on
occasion, it works for a week or so, the problem then recurs. The
repairers concerned have all told me that they have given it a good
clean, and replaced the jet.

As the van has a trade-in value of not much more than the above amount,
I am loathe to buy a new fridge.

Secondly, were I to decide to buy a used fridge, (in the unlikely event
that I could locate one!), I am concerned that I have no way of
appraising the condition thereof. My experience has led me to believe
that certain vendors would not be above telling me that they have bench-
tested the item, saying 'come and see for yourself'. 'It's working on
gas at the moment'. Is there a way that I can defend myself against the
scenario where the vendor has cooled the fridge on 240 volts, and then,
by the time I arrive, switched over to gas?

I am quite prepared to pay the going rate for a used fridge that is
working in all 3 media, but have to confess to having become rather
paranoid about the scenario!

Any help most gratefully received.
--
John Sullivan
Old September 11th 03, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Harry Bloomfield

In article ,
says...
| I am the owner of a 1979 Abbey GT414 van. My EL RM212 3-way fridge is
| presenting me with what appears to be an insoluble problem. The fridge
| works well on 240 volts, but I have a problem with gas operation. Even
| when the pilot light burns brightly, and heat is apparent from the
| outside flue, the fridge will not cool down. I have spent upwards of
| 150 pounds in 'repair' costs by 3 different repairers, and although on
| occasion, it works for a week or so, the problem then recurs. The
| repairers concerned have all told me that they have given it a good
| clean, and replaced the jet.

Thinking aloud here, sorry.....

If it works on 240v then there is no obvious reason why it wouldn't
also work on gas. 12v, 240v and gas, all work on the same principle of
heating the core up. If the heat of 240v will cause the fridge to work
properly, then the heat from the gas flame should have the same
effect.... Providing the gas is going on to full which is controlled by
the thermostat on the front and the chimney allows the burnt gases to
properly flow up and out through the chimney.

You say you have checked the latter, which just leaves......

If you turn the gas thermostat down to its lowest setting, the flame
height should decrease to a much smaller size.... Turn it up to full
and the flame should become quite a bit bigger. If not there is a
problem with the gas thermostat.

Inside the top of the combustion chamber, there should be a loose
fitting piece of metal strip, which curls around upon itself. This is
intended to cause the hot gas to swirl around on its way up towards the
flue and exchange more heat into the chamber. Could this perhaps be
missing?

Harry (M1BYT)...

Remove the 'NOSPAM' in my email address to reply.

Free Amateur Radio Courses:-
http://www.ukradioamateur.org
Old September 11th 03, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Sullivan

In article , Harry
Bloomfield writes
In article ,
says...
| I am the owner of a 1979 Abbey GT414 van. My EL RM212 3-way fridge is
| presenting me with what appears to be an insoluble problem. The fridge
| works well on 240 volts, but I have a problem with gas operation. Even
| when the pilot light burns brightly, and heat is apparent from the
| outside flue, the fridge will not cool down. I have spent upwards of
| 150 pounds in 'repair' costs by 3 different repairers, and although on
| occasion, it works for a week or so, the problem then recurs. The
| repairers concerned have all told me that they have given it a good
| clean, and replaced the jet.

Thinking aloud here, sorry.....

If it works on 240v then there is no obvious reason why it wouldn't
also work on gas. 12v, 240v and gas, all work on the same principle of
heating the core up. If the heat of 240v will cause the fridge to work
properly, then the heat from the gas flame should have the same
effect.... Providing the gas is going on to full which is controlled by
the thermostat on the front and the chimney allows the burnt gases to
properly flow up and out through the chimney.

You say you have checked the latter, which just leaves......

If you turn the gas thermostat down to its lowest setting, the flame
height should decrease to a much smaller size.... Turn it up to full
and the flame should become quite a bit bigger. If not there is a
problem with the gas thermostat.

Inside the top of the combustion chamber, there should be a loose
fitting piece of metal strip, which curls around upon itself. This is
intended to cause the hot gas to swirl around on its way up towards the
flue and exchange more heat into the chamber. Could this perhaps be
missing?

Thanks Harry. I'll check those points out.
--
John Sullivan
Old September 12th 03, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Chris Wilkinson

In message , John Sullivan
writes
I have spent upwards of
150 pounds in 'repair' costs by 3 different repairers, and although on
occasion, it works for a week or so, the problem then recurs. The
repairers concerned have all told me that they have given it a good
clean, and replaced the jet.

So you have paid 150 and not got the problem solved. I presume that
when you took the fridge to the repairers you told them what the fridge
was not doing. ie keeping food cool, and left it to them to find the
problem and repair it.

They didn't repair it.

So why pay?

Well I suppose you had to to get the fridge back, but it still doesn't
work.

Answer write to the repairer and tell him it doesn't work, invite him to
put it right, if he refuses or simply is not interested then take him
through the small claims court.

Your mistake was to take it to a second and then a third repairer.

Quite unbelievable that you would do that.

CHRIS
--
Chris Wilkinson - Dubna Systems
Due to virus bombardment please note that any email containing a virus will be
Old September 14th 03, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"John Sullivan" wrote in message
I am the owner of a 1979 Abbey GT414 van. My EL RM212 3-way fridge is
presenting me with what appears to be an insoluble problem. The fridge
works well on 240 volts, but I have a problem with gas operation.

Probably lost its gas which is the reason it still won't work despite the
other bits being renewed.
At that age it may not be possible to have it recharged with original spec
gas because the greenies stopped the use of 'greenhouse' gases.
Maybe possible to have it recharged with the new stuff.
Wonder why your three repair shops didn't think of this.
DaveK.

Old September 14th 03, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
QrizB

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 09:03:40 +0100, "DaveK" wrote:

"John Sullivan" wrote in message
. ..
I am the owner of a 1979 Abbey GT414 van. My EL RM212 3-way fridge is
presenting me with what appears to be an insoluble problem. The fridge
works well on 240 volts, but I have a problem with gas operation.

Probably lost its gas which is the reason it still won't work despite the
other bits being renewed.
At that age it may not be possible to have it recharged with original spec
gas because the greenies stopped the use of 'greenhouse' gases.

Gas fridges (including 2- and 3-way fridges) work on the absorption
principle, and are filled with ammonia solution. This is still
available.

A good description of their poeration is at:
http://www.cam.net.uk/~aaa314/electrolux.html

Wonder why your three repair shops didn't think of this.

Because it works fine on 240V?

Old September 15th 03, 08:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ian Cooper

Does the pilot light vary on high and low settings? It's most likely a
blocked jet anyway. You can do it yourself by removing the fridge and other
components to get to the jet. The jet unscrews quite simply and you should
be able to see light through the jet when you hold it up. Just blow through
it and you should remove any blockage. Use a proprietary gas sealant, not a
water sealant, when you refit.

Ian

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
| Probably lost its gas which is the reason it still won't work despite

the
| other bits being renewed.
| At that age it may not be possible to have it recharged with original

spec
| gas because the greenies stopped the use of 'greenhouse' gases.
| Maybe possible to have it recharged with the new stuff.
| Wonder why your three repair shops didn't think of this.
| DaveK.

Had it lost its gas, then it wouldn't work at all. It does work on
240v, therefore it must have gas.

Old September 15th 03, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Sullivan

In article , Ian Cooper
writes
Does the pilot light vary on high and low settings?

Yes.

It's most likely a
blocked jet anyway. You can do it yourself by removing the fridge and other
components to get to the jet. The jet unscrews quite simply and you should
be able to see light through the jet when you hold it up. Just blow through
it and you should remove any blockage. Use a proprietary gas sealant, not a
water sealant, when you refit.

Thanks Ian, but the most recent repairer SAYS that he installed a new
jet, as have the others over the last three years. Guess I'll have to
check.
--
John Sullivan
Old September 15th 03, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Sullivan

In article , John Sullivan
writes
In article , Ian Cooper
writes
Does the pilot light vary on high and low settings?

Yes.

It's most likely a
blocked jet anyway. You can do it yourself by removing the fridge and other
components to get to the jet. The jet unscrews quite simply and you should
be able to see light through the jet when you hold it up. Just blow through
it and you should remove any blockage. Use a proprietary gas sealant, not a
water sealant, when you refit.

Thanks Ian, but the most recent repairer SAYS that he installed a new
jet, as have the others over the last three years. Guess I'll have to
check.

Ian. I have just done a further check, and the pilot light does NOT vary
in size, shape, brightness or colour on high, medium or low settings.
Sorry for the duff gen. What does this mean please?
--
John Sullivan