CCC messing with forestry commision sites already

Old July 28th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geo

Default CCC messing with forestry commision sites already

As you probably know the CCC has taken over management of the forestry
commision campsites, well so far they seem to only have control of
there booking call centre and already they are interfering in typical
CCC style. Having camped at the forest of Dean for several years, and 5
times since we got our caravan, with no trouble at all, suddenly our
van is 'too big' to fit on a pitch.

The guy at the call centre informed me that if the van was more than 6m
long I would need to pay for two pitches !!! When I told him I had
been there the weekend before, and the length of the van had never even
even been asked, he informed me it was 'policy' and had 'always been
like that for as long as he had worked there', it turned out he had
worked there for 4 weeks !!!!

After further protests from me, pointing out that the site was half
full of seasonally pitched vans many of them well over 6m, he went to
'talk to someone'. He then said he would book me on for one pitch and
it would be upto the site manager as to whether he would let me in or
not.

This seems to be a major hang up with the CCC, they seem to have a
obsession with caravan size, or is it some sort of con. to get extra
money out of people with twin axle caravans !!!.

I hate to think what it will be like when they start to actively manage
the site, guess this may be the last time we get into the site, because
there is no chance I'll be paying for two pitches.

This isn't the first CCC site that I've had problems woth, at
Winchcombe they nearly turned us away after they seen the van, because
we had booked a hardstanding they went into a panic about the pitch
being only designed for caravans of a certain size, when we got to the
pitch the van fitted easily,, with room to spare, and there was a huge
grass field opposite with two van on it !!!! Note this is a 'normal'
twin axle caravan, a Sterling Trekker, not exactly a massive or unusual
van.