Expert battery & solar panel advice needed

Old July 28th 06, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BrianG

Default Expert battery & solar panel advice needed

My daughter and boyfriend are living in a YURT. A Mongolian tent. I have
suggested a solar panel and Caravan battery for basic lighting.

Would the battery have to be outside and covered, as inside they are
cooking using Camping Gaz. Would a panel keep the battery charged enough
in Winter to give lighting? What size would they require, and any
suggestions please as to where I could buy.

Many thanks in advance.
Old July 28th 06, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

BrianG wrote:

My daughter and boyfriend are living in a YURT. A Mongolian tent. I have
suggested a solar panel and Caravan battery for basic lighting.

Would the battery have to be outside and covered, as inside they are
cooking using Camping Gaz. Would a panel keep the battery charged enough
in Winter to give lighting? What size would they require, and any
suggestions please as to where I could buy.

Many thanks in advance.

Where is all this happening?

Up near the Arctic Circle - forget it. At lower latitudes you might be
OK. To make the best of the weaker winter sun and shorter daylight
hours I wouldn't go for a panel smaller than 50W - you really ought to
do the sums properly, though.

Basic lighting - go for LEDs if you can to minimise the load on the
battery.

If the cooking is taking place when the battery is charging it would
be sensible to keep the two apart but it is possible to take the
caution thing too far.

Old July 28th 06, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:37:31 +0100, BrianG
wrote:

|My daughter and boyfriend are living in a YURT. A Mongolian tent. I have
|suggested a solar panel and Caravan battery for basic lighting.
|
|Would the battery have to be outside and covered, as inside they are
|cooking using Camping Gaz. Would a panel keep the battery charged enough
|in Winter to give lighting? What size would they require, and any
|suggestions please as to where I could buy.
|
|Many thanks in advance.

Where in the world are they?
Old July 28th 06, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

wrote:

|My daughter and boyfriend are living in a YURT. A Mongolian tent. I have
|suggested a solar panel and Caravan battery for basic lighting.
|
|Would the battery have to be outside and covered, as inside they are
|cooking using Camping Gaz. Would a panel keep the battery charged enough
|in Winter to give lighting? What size would they require, and any
|suggestions please as to where I could buy.
|
|Many thanks in advance.

Where in the world are they?
Old July 28th 06, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

wrote:

|My daughter and boyfriend are living in a YURT. A Mongolian tent. I have
|suggested a solar panel and Caravan battery for basic lighting.
|
|Would the battery have to be outside and covered, as inside they are
|cooking using Camping Gaz. Would a panel keep the battery charged enough
|in Winter to give lighting? What size would they require, and any
|suggestions please as to where I could buy.
|
|Many thanks in advance.

Where in the world are they?
Old July 28th 06, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BrianG

Dougal wrote:
BrianG wrote:

My daughter and boyfriend are living in a YURT. A Mongolian tent. I
have suggested a solar panel and Caravan battery for basic lighting.

Would the battery have to be outside and covered, as inside they are
cooking using Camping Gaz. Would a panel keep the battery charged
enough in Winter to give lighting? What size would they require, and
any suggestions please as to where I could buy.

Many thanks in advance.

Where is all this happening?

In England, on a Farm.