Water pump

Old July 29th 06, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete

Default Water pump

Hi

I checked my whale pump (the type that is suspended in the water container
outside the caravan) was working before I left home, and it was working OK.

When I arrived at the site, I found that when the taps were open, it worked
fine, but when the taps were shut, the pump constantly switched on and off.
The red pump light kept going on and off continually as well.

I tried to adjust the pressure switch, but couldn't get a happy medium, so I
decided to live with it until I returned home, and deal with it then. While
on site, I just switched the pump off when it wasn't needed.

I just got home, and found it works perfectly again. Could there have been
a problem on the site, perhaps with fluctuating voltage or something? I
hadn't considered that possibility, and I didn't hear anybody else
complaining about it.

Cheers

Pete

Old July 29th 06, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 14:07:18 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

|Hi
|
|I checked my whale pump (the type that is suspended in the water container
|outside the caravan) was working before I left home, and it was working OK.
|
|When I arrived at the site, I found that when the taps were open, it worked
|fine, but when the taps were shut, the pump constantly switched on and off.
|The red pump light kept going on and off continually as well.
|
|I tried to adjust the pressure switch, but couldn't get a happy medium, so I
|decided to live with it until I returned home, and deal with it then. While
|on site, I just switched the pump off when it wasn't needed.
|
|I just got home, and found it works perfectly again. Could there have been
|a problem on the site, perhaps with fluctuating voltage or something? I
|hadn't considered that possibility, and I didn't hear anybody else
|complaining about it.

Sounds like a 12V supply problem to me.
Adjusting the pressure switch always cures that sort of problem for me.
I now always carry a small multimeter, to sort out electrical problems.
Old July 29th 06, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 29th 06, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old July 29th 06, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith Midgley

wrote:

Hi

I checked my whale pump (the type that is suspended in the water container
outside the caravan) was working before I left home, and it was working OK.

When I arrived at the site, I found that when the taps were open, it worked
fine, but when the taps were shut, the pump constantly switched on and off.
The red pump light kept going on and off continually as well.

I tried to adjust the pressure switch, but couldn't get a happy medium, so I
decided to live with it until I returned home, and deal with it then. While
on site, I just switched the pump off when it wasn't needed.

I just got home, and found it works perfectly again. Could there have been
a problem on the site, perhaps with fluctuating voltage or something? I
hadn't considered that possibility, and I didn't hear anybody else
complaining about it.

What source of electrical power were you using at each place?

Sometimes a pressurised water system can work perfectly when connected to
one type (usually mains via your power transformer/charger) and not with
the other (usually the battery).

Keith.
--
Keith Midgley
(my first name works better than carnivorous products in email replies).

Old July 29th 06, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tony Falla

Check the pressure switch I have had this trouble a lot with my van. A
backward step was taken when Whale took over Carver, with the old Carver
Crystal system the water was filtered as soon as it entered the van, now it
is only filtered on the kitchen cold tap.

What I have found happens is that while travelling dirt accumulates in the
water pump connection point on the outside of the van. When you connect the
water pump even if you clean the connection point some dirt gets into the
system. The first component of the system is the pressure switch, dirt
sucked in accumulates there and causes the valve to remain open so the pump
keeps running. It is a fairly simple matter to clean it out, about 5 screws,
just make sure you note how it was assembled. I now carry a spare pressure
switch as it is easier to change than mess about cleaning on site. I am
considering putting a filter before the pressure switch to try to eliminate
this problem, but Whale don't answer e-mails as to whether or not this would
cause any other problems.

Tony Falla