Fridge 12V problems

Old July 29th 06, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
JonathanP

Default Fridge 12V problems

Having problem with 12v running of a new-ish Thetford fridge.
Connect the 12S plug and start the car - the relay clicks in the van to
confirm the car is suppling the volts okay. Turn the fridge to 12V
setting and after about 3 seconds the caravan relay then starts
clicking in and out every 2 or 3 seconds. Have tried an alternative car
which I know the owner has no problems with and it shows the same
problem wth my van/fridge. Thinking it was the relay board in the van I
changed it out and the same thing happens. The 12S is wired the new way
in the car and van. At the 12S socket on the car I get 13.6 V. When the
fridge is switched to 12V setting, the voltage across the red and black
wires just as they go into the van relay board is about 11.5V which
then drops to 0 when the relay clicks again, then straight back to
11.5V again when it re-energises. Is this voltage a bit low ?
Is it the fridge or could it be the relay in the car ?
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks,
Jonathan.

Old July 29th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

JonathanP wrote:

|| Having problem with 12v running of a new-ish Thetford fridge.
|| Connect the 12S plug and start the car - the relay clicks in the van
|| to confirm the car is suppling the volts okay. Turn the fridge to 12V
|| setting and after about 3 seconds the caravan relay then starts
|| clicking in and out every 2 or 3 seconds. Have tried an alternative
|| car which I know the owner has no problems with and it shows the same
|| problem wth my van/fridge. Thinking it was the relay board in the
|| van I changed it out and the same thing happens. The 12S is wired
|| the new way in the car and van. At the 12S socket on the car I get
|| 13.6 V. When the fridge is switched to 12V setting, the voltage
|| across the red and black wires just as they go into the van relay
|| board is about 11.5V which then drops to 0 when the relay clicks
|| again, then straight back to
|| 11.5V again when it re-energises. Is this voltage a bit low ?
|| Is it the fridge or could it be the relay in the car ?
|| Any help gratefully received.
|| Thanks,
|| Jonathan.

I had exactly the same problem a few years ago - no fridge, clicking relay
and all. It tuns out that my caravan (2002) was new wiring and the car
(1997) was old. Rewiring the car socket cured it.

I know you've said that both car and van are new wiring, but the symptoms
sound eerily familiar. I'd check this first.

HTH

--
Rich
==============================

I don't approve of signatures, so I don't have one.

Old July 29th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old July 29th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard Brookman

Old July 29th 06, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"JonathanP" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Its actually working fine. I presume you can only check the operation at
idle, therefore your car relay is responding to the load of the fridge.

Fridge comes on, increases load on alternator, at idle the alternator cannot
produce more so the relay clicks out. The relay being controlled by voltage.

Once the fridge is out of the circuit the alternator goes back above 12V and
re closes the relay. Fridge starts to draw too much power, voltage drops,
relay opens.

Above idle the alternator should be able to cope, although the other thing
to check is that the earth wire in your car socket is straight to earth and
not looped onto the charging earth. Some folk use the redundant brown wire
as an additional earth to help with the problem of the 12S socket
overheating.

Cheers

Old July 30th 06, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , "[email protected] home"
writes

"JonathanP" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

David

I would go for poor earth I think or poor connection in your 12S plug.
It has often been recommended to duplicate the earth across the plug
with the new wiring arrangement. One of the advantages of alternators
over the old dynamos is that they can produce more output at idle and I
wouldn't expect one to be upset that much by a fridge.

One way to test this theory would be to measure the voltage at the
alternator output.
--
hugh