Damp...?

Old July 30th 06, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Eddie

Default Damp...?

I have eventually evolved from a quick-erect 2 berth tent to the intent to
get my first caravan soon, hopefully. I've heard a lot of stuff about
damp.... "NEVER, NEVER buy a caravan that has any trace of damp or moisture,
never, never, ever....!!!" or "Watch out for the smell of damp in the nooks
and crannies" or "beware of the overpowering smell of air-fresheners, there
trying to hide summit ....".
The question, is a `van that has had a minor case of damp that has been
repaired something that is worth considering buying......??
Any other relevant tips on buying y' first `van would be welcomed,
I`m budgeting on around 2000-ish.

TIA,
Tel

Old July 30th 06, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected] home

"Eddie" wrote in message
k...
I have eventually evolved from a quick-erect 2 berth tent to the intent to
get my first caravan soon, hopefully. I've heard a lot of stuff about
damp.... "NEVER, NEVER buy a caravan that has any trace of damp or
moisture,
never, never, ever....!!!" or "Watch out for the smell of damp in the
nooks
and crannies" or "beware of the overpowering smell of air-fresheners,
there
trying to hide summit ....".
The question, is a `van that has had a minor case of damp that has been
repaired something that is worth considering buying......??
Any other relevant tips on buying y' first `van would be welcomed,
I`m budgeting on around 2000-ish.

TIA,
Tel

Go armed with a meter. If the damp has been repaired there may be staining
on the inner wallboard, but as long as it has been allowed to dry before
resealing, and you are buying at a price reflecting the damage, no real
problem.

Cheers

Old July 31st 06, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

"Remember that 90% of caravanns over 5 years old will have some damp, even
if you cannot see it easily. " This advice was given to me by a proffesional
caravan repairer years ago. I have now owned three vans and having spent 6
months armed with a damp meter looking to exchange my vanI believe this to
be true. I saw many vans on my quest private and on dealers as rotten as
pears riddled with damp being sold as "Dry" it took my 6 months to find one.
.. You must remember that owners in general do not look after vans they just
buy them and leave them on a drive never resealing them or maintaining them.
You will find a dry van for 2k but invest in a meter and be prepared for an
extensive search. Take an experienced caravanner ( who knows about vans not
just uses one) or get a damp check done by a dealer before you buy. Ill give
you an example. One of the vans we saw was a 2 birth challenger 1995 looked
immaculate, owned by an old couple to see it was to want ir. It lookrs
superb. Up at 1500 after I inspected it I found the whole front end damp
and the two skylights leaking. They where devestated when I told them. They
had had it 6 months paid 2k for it ( I saw the reciept) and decided it was
top mutch for them as they where in their 70'I refused the van. I did
however keep track of the sale( it was on Ebay) They removed the ad relisted
it and added the damp to the listin. They got 500 for it in the end. I also
saw a 2300 Musky on a dealer suposedly damp free( he told me) my handwent
throught the wall on the inspection it was so damp. Trust no one and be
carefull, and you will find a dry van good hunting.

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old August 2nd 06, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Pete Hinchliffe

I think this is good advice. Best to steer well clear of all damp problems.
Use your nose first & eyes second. If the van has recently been
re-lined/resealed, make sure that it's solved the problem. Often it doesn't.
Have a really good look underneath and of course, remove all drawers & look
in back of cupboards. Damp meters, though not cheap can save a lot of
heartache.

It really isn't worth taking the risk unless you have loads of money to
throw away. Would you buy a tent that has traces of mildew? Would you heck.

. ..