fridge

Old August 6th 06, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Johnnie Scott

Default fridge

Newbie Maybe its me, but the fridge in my, just bought, secondhand van
does
not get cold. Tried it on mains hook up and battery. All lights OK just
not getting cold. Its an Electrolux 3 way fridge

Thanks
John

Old August 6th 06, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , Johnnie Scott
lid writes
Newbie Maybe its me, but the fridge in my, just bought, secondhand van
does
not get cold. Tried it on mains hook up and battery. All lights OK just
not getting cold. Its an Electrolux 3 way fridge

Thanks
John

The 12v side doesn't work off the battery, but on a supply from the
towing vehicle which should be switched by a relay when the engine is
running.

Have you tried it on gas?

The mains side is controlled by the thermostat and these can stick with
lack of use. To free it up turn it to off then switch it on and off
rapidly a few times. Then try it again.
--
hugh

Old August 6th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lex M

"Johnnie Scott" wrote in
:

Newbie Maybe its me, but the fridge in my, just bought, secondhand van
does
not get cold. Tried it on mains hook up and battery. All lights OK just
not getting cold. Its an Electrolux 3 way fridge

Thanks
John

On 13 jul 2004 CampinGazz posted this message in this ng:

The turning the fridge upside down does the trick most times, because what
happens is over time amonia crystals form in the pipes, this will especialy
happen if you've run the fridge off level for some time, (the water can't
get back into the bottom of the heat riser pipe, so it boils what little
does get there, and this causes the amonia to crystalize)
If you get these crystals near the smaller pipes, they can partialy block
the flow of the hydrogen,

So turning the fridge upside down for 24 hours allows the water/amonia
solution to sit in parts that dont usually get a pure wet solution, and the
crystals can be re-absorbed into the solution,

9 out of ten times this works, i know of a few people who have bought
fridges off ebay for 10 or 20 quid, because they were sold as non working,
24 hours upside down and they were working fine again,

Try it, as long as you are competent enough to take the fridge out your
self, it'll cost you nothing but a few hours of your time,
I've got a thetford fridge in my motorhome i recently built, and their
technical people recomend the 'leave upside down a day' method for most
problems.. first thing i was told to do when i phoned up with a warrenty
claim.. my gas thermostat wasn't working properly, once i described the
fault they got me a new one and got it fitted asap.

--
Regards, Lex
http://biod.net

Posted by news://news.nb.nu