Cell phone in van?

Old September 13th 03, 02:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Robert

Default Cell phone in van?

Hello,

I wish to buy a van in Europe, and then to travel all over Great
Britain and the Continent, but I must also carry on my business
communications while travelling. So I need a good cell phone.

My question is --- which cell phone plan might be best for sending and
receiving calls, sometimes to and from Europe, but often to and from
the USA? Is there a cell phone plan that offers low international
rates?

Also, is there a cell phone/plan that can be taken from country to
country within Europe, without roaming charges? Is there an all-EU
plan?

And, since I will have no fixed address in the EU, can I legally
obtain a phone using my USA address?

Thank you.
Old September 13th 03, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
gray

Robert Your best option would be to go online and look at the webpages for
O2 Orange Vodafone and Virgin mobile then find who is the most
competitive for the service you need

Most UK Networks have Roaming capability BUT away from the country in which
they are based costs a lot more AND you pay for receiving calls when roaming
too

Gray
The Madcaravanner from Chesterfield
www.madcaravanner.co.uk

You don't have to be mad ..... but it helps
"Robert" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I wish to buy a van in Europe, and then to travel all over Great
Britain and the Continent, but I must also carry on my business
communications while travelling. So I need a good cell phone.

My question is --- which cell phone plan might be best for sending and
receiving calls, sometimes to and from Europe, but often to and from
the USA? Is there a cell phone plan that offers low international
rates?

Also, is there a cell phone/plan that can be taken from country to
country within Europe, without roaming charges? Is there an all-EU
plan?

And, since I will have no fixed address in the EU, can I legally
obtain a phone using my USA address?

Thank you.

---

Old September 13th 03, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mike

"Robert" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I wish to buy a van in Europe, and then to travel all over Great
Britain and the Continent, but I must also carry on my business
communications while travelling. So I need a good cell phone.

My question is --- which cell phone plan might be best for sending and
receiving calls, sometimes to and from Europe, but often to and from
the USA? Is there a cell phone plan that offers low international
rates?

Also, is there a cell phone/plan that can be taken from country to
country within Europe, without roaming charges? Is there an all-EU
plan?

And, since I will have no fixed address in the EU, can I legally
obtain a phone using my USA address?

Thank you.

Dear Robert,
I use Orange Pay as you go, in France (well at least I took it with me) and
although I could check back to the UK the balance ( amount of call time
left)and get a text message from Orange, confirming the balance. which
proved that there was nothing wrong with the phone or service. I could not
make or receive calls. My wife also has an orange phone which was the same.
We had sufficient signal strength and we did check that the codes where
correct. I strongly suggest you check with others using cell phones what
kind of service they are getting. Ask the prospective phone companies for
guarantees of service given the profile of your use.
Mike

Old September 13th 03, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ophelia

"Mike" wrote in message

Dear Robert,
I use Orange Pay as you go, in France (well at least I took it with me)

and
although I could check back to the UK the balance ( amount of call time
left)and get a text message from Orange, confirming the balance. which
proved that there was nothing wrong with the phone or service. I could not
make or receive calls. My wife also has an orange phone which was the

same.
We had sufficient signal strength and we did check that the codes where
correct. I strongly suggest you check with others using cell phones what
kind of service they are getting. Ask the prospective phone companies for
guarantees of service given the profile of your use.

I use Vodafone and have no problem accessing any of the countries to which I
have been in Europe, but as a previous poster comments.. it is expensive. I
use mine for dialup for email too

Ophelia

Old September 13th 03, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mark B

I work abroad a lot, and simply use my pay as you go phone which I paid to
be 'unlocked' so I can use any SIM in it, and buy a new SIM in each country
I am in, thus avoiding roaming charges.

Old September 13th 03, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Angela

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

[...]

I have got Vodaphone, husband has O2, we often find niether of us have a
signal near the coast, and usually have to come away from the camp site to
use the phones, very annoying.

Old September 13th 03, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ophelia

"Angela" wrote in message

I have got Vodaphone, husband has O2, we often find niether of us have a
signal near the coast, and usually have to come away from the camp site to
use the phones, very annoying.

Fortunately David is on T Mobile and when one can't get a signal the other
usually can

Ophelia

Old September 13th 03, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill

Angela wrote in message

I have got Vodaphone, husband has O2, we often find niether of us have a
signal near the coast, and usually have to come away from the camp site to
use the phones, very annoying.

Which coast?

I live within sight of the sea in East Suffolk. Vodafone and Orange are the
only two networks worth using, with Orange having the edge over Vodafone.

Bill

Old September 13th 03, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
GHOTI

I would never use Orange for interntaional....

here is why.!!!!

Mobile phone operate on frequenceies. There are 2 frequencies used in UK.
900 and 1800 Mhz.
Vodafone and O2 use 900Mhz
Orange, T Mobile, Virgin use 1800Mhz.

There is no problem there....

But, when you go to Europe, many countries have only just adopted the 1800
Mhz network and it will be a few years before they are prolific in those
countries. Some countres like France and Belgium have pretty good coverage
but not as good as it should be as the providers have concentrated on
cities.

You can of course sign up with one of the 1800Mhz suppliers and get a dual
or triband phone. Then when you do go abroad, you will roam onto both the
900Mhz... But, the majority of phones that get given out by these providers
tend to be single band 1800 Mhz... So you have to know what you are
picking...

As for pricing, a call while roaming on nearly all networks is about 1.00
per minute. So,on Vodafone, go to another European country and thta is what
you pay.

You can also get cheaper international and roaming calls with special call
plans. As an example of this O2 do a plan called International Call Saver,
where you pay about 3.25 per month extra and you get reduced international
calls. I think, if I remember correctly, thatthey come down from 1.00 per
min to about 19p per min for the main European countries and USA...

Hope that helps...

Old September 13th 03, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
GHOTI

Good idea,but not good if you want people to have a phone number to call you
onas it will change every time you change countries...