Thinking of buying a static

Old August 7th 06, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Thinking of buying a static

Hi
We're thinking of buying a static van with a view to using occasionally but
letting most of the time. Is this a good thing financially?
If anyone can give their views/advice it would be most appreciated.
We live in S Devon so would be nearby to mantain the van.
Thanks
Dave

Old August 7th 06, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

Well you won't make money on it if that's what you mean, but I don't think
caravans are supposed to be looked at "Financially" apart from running
costs. it's more of a memory purchase scheme rather than a money purchase
scheme and consequently of far more value.

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old August 7th 06, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Agree it isn't a get rich scheme, I was thinking more of subsidising the
costs incurred. The trouble is that I've no idea what the costs are.
I like the phrase "memory purchase". I'm going to be using that.
Dave

k...

Old August 7th 06, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"D" wrote in
:

Hi
We're thinking of buying a static van with a view to using
occasionally but letting most of the time. Is this a good thing
financially? If anyone can give their views/advice it would be most
appreciated. We live in S Devon so would be nearby to mantain the van.
Thanks
Dave

Check carefully what the start-up and on-going costs are. Many sites have
a rule that forbids units over ten years old, and the way that siting
fees etc. are structured makes you almost locked in to buying a
replacement from the site owners. Some site terms mean that if you want
to sell your static, you have to do so through the site owners - who then
set the price and take a hefty commission. Then you have the ground rent
etc. to consider. With many of these parks I have the impression that
once they have you in they have you over a barrel and they'll take you
for all they can.

FWIW, I did once consider getting a static on the same park as some of
our then friends. However, I read the small print a little more closely
than they did and so avoided the money pit that had cost them a small
fortune by only a couple of years later, when they sold and lost most of
what they'd put into the project.

That doesn't mean to say that all static parks are like that - just think
long and hard and know how much it'll cost to get in, how much it'll cost
to get out. Check how much it'll cost each year (not forgetting to factor
in for replacement of the unit) and how much control there is on what
they can charge for maintenance, ground rent, etc.

Good luck, and HTH,

--
Geoff