Caravan electrics problem

Old August 8th 06, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
johnp51

Default Caravan electrics problem

Hi, as a Newbie to this group, and to caravanning, please excuse me if
this question has been answered many times before, but I have done a
search and cannot find the answer.

I've recently purchased a 1991 Swift Danette (without owners manual),
and I cannot get the internal electrics to work. I've tried it on "hook
up" and on internal battery only, but nothing is working. When the
hook up cable is plugged in, I get red lights on the mains panel when I
switch the "charger" switch on, and on the fridge switch too. But no
power seems to be getting through to any of the lights or sockets. I
have tried it with two different batteries in situ, but still had the
same problem. The panel has red and green lights on it to indicate the
condition of the battery, and neither of these has ever illuminated.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks

John

Old August 8th 06, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gareth Slee

johnp51 wrote:

[...]

Are you expecting to get 240V mains on car hook-up?
You'll only get 240V when connected to the hook-up on site, not your car
or internal battery.

--
Gareth

Old August 8th 06, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dieseldes

"johnp51" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

We have a Danette of similar age, I can scan some pages if you need them

Des

Old August 8th 06, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message .com,
johnp51 writes
[...]

So your mains supply is getting to the battery charger and the fridge.

I would expect to find some fuses on your control panel. Have you
checked them? There will also probably be a 3 position switch, van/car
with centre off. Switch this to van. You may need to remove this switch
and get a voltmeter on the back to see if there is anything there.

--
hugh