Sunncamp Ultima Awning Height Query

Old August 11th 06, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
news.freedom2surf.net

Default Sunncamp Ultima Awning Height Query

Can anyone help please? I have a Bailey Pageant Bordeaux Series 5 caravan
and like the look of the Sunncamp Ultima 260 awning.

Sunncamp state that it is suitable for awning rail heights of 230 to 245cm,
but when I went to order it from Awnings Direct (part of United British
Caravans in Newcastle) they insist that it is only suitable for awning rails
from 240 to 255cm high. I have measured my awning rail at 236.5 cm and they
say it will result in water pooling at the top of the awning. One other
retailer also quotes the 240 to 255 cm height for the Ultima.

Sunncamp customer service insist it is 230 cm minimum, not 240.

Does anyone out there use an Ultima awning with either a Bailey Pageant
Series 5 van or a van with a rail height less than 240 cm? If so I would be
grateful for any comments.

Thanks
Kevin

Old August 12th 06, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:09:56 +0100, "news.freedom2surf.net"
wrote:

[...]

The information of the awning says 235 to 255. On the same topic I
nearly bougt one of these in May and aftet talking to Lowdhams who
were selling them I did not. The person I spoke to asked what my usage
was and said it was unsuitable, apparrently yhey have a tendency to
blow inside out when the wind gets up so that instead of looking like
a quarter of a tunnel they end up with the poles against the caravan
walls. Apparently they had one up on the sales pitches and the damage
to the caravan when they left it up overnight and it got some
unexpected winds cost them several hundred pounds to repair. They
suggested that this particular awning is only really usable for very
short times when the caravan is unlikely to be left unattended or
where the weather can be guaranteed.
Bill Lord

Old August 13th 06, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

wrote:

[...]

Bill Useful

I just bought one of these for a trip to Ireland where it blows a lot?

Have a Harrisons porch awning that I have never used once? Its so heavy and
can't be bothered to put it up and down all the time wet. Ended throwing it
in and out of the caravan every time we went away for the day to my better
half annoyance each time.

I saw one of these in N Wales while on holiday this Easter and you may
remember it was very cold, very wet and rather windy.

They was a older couple who put it up in about 5 minutes and sat in it
reading in all weathers. All around were people hanging on the huge awnings
and strapping them down but this thing just flapped away.

Not at all the best looking thing and it won't last long but it seemed just
what I wanted for a outside wet and seating area.

I take on board completely the problem of damage to the van, that was what I
was unsure about when I bought mine. The poles just lean against the van at
the top and have an eye pushed in at the bottom to hold the awning down.

I have a 1 year abbey which has GRP walls, and is one main reason why I
bought it. They shrug off the odd and the not so odd ding and I am so sad
they are now discontinued this year from abbey. I even bumped it with a
paving slab this year while walking past it and not a mark. All would have
had a huge dent.

But It will have to be watched.

When the couple left they took it down in another 5 minuets and it was
rolled up and gone.

Only paid 129 for it so don't expect that much from it but thanks for the
nod I will be more aware than I planned to be.

How was Scotland and did the lads leave you alone while you were away?.

Regards
and thanks.

Peter

Old August 13th 06, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 11:02:10 +0100, "Peter"
wrote:

How was Scotland and did the lads leave you alone while you were away?.

we only got as far as Moffat and then the wifes vertigo made a
comeback so we diverted to New England bay, no midges there. Mind you
I had already bought some Avon skin so softy at Moffat, only problem I
see with it is that I smell a bit limp wristed when I put it on. G

Bill Lord