Status Aerial & caravan roof

Old August 11th 06, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Miller

Default Status Aerial & caravan roof

I recently had to change the base on my Status aerial. When I unscrewed the
old one and cleaned up the roof, I discovered that there was a lot of
patches where the paint had bubbled up and the aluminium was corroding. At
one point, there was a small hole! Nearly all of the corrosion was under the
aerial base and luckily the new base has covered up the hole.

The caravan is a 1998 Elddis Typhoon which I have owned from new and the
aerial was factory fitted with (presumably) the correct sealant. Apart from
a couple of small patches in the immediate vicinity of Status, I couldn't
see any other corrosion on the rest of the roof. Anybody any ideas what has
caused this, and more importantly, do I need to do anything to the corroded
bits, which are now hidden under the new base? Didn't have any paint, emery
cloth, etc with me at the time, and needed to secure the new base properly
with new mastic to stop rain getting into the roof!

John Miller

Old August 13th 06, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Magick Pyggie

John Miller wrote:
[...]

Hi John,

Check out http://www.hitek-ltd.co.uk/pdf/vpci_130.pdf

If you privately send me your address I will pop a VpCI 101 or similar
in the post.

Small piece of foam, emits a vapour that bonds to any metal and
prevents moisture causing corrosion, will give you three years plus.
Really works, great for tool boxes or fishing tackle boxes.

regards

Magick Pyggie