Horrified at car ferry cost to Northern Ireland

Old August 15th 06, 07:20 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Horrified at car ferry cost to Northern Ireland

Anyone take thier car to NI?
A long drive to the shorter Scotish routes does not seem to give a saving
when you add the cost of petrol could be more than N. Wales/Liverpool areas.
Is it best to book late or in advance like some airlines?
Anyone who can help please as it looks as if flying and hireing a car would
be cheaper.
I need to make the trip but upset at the cost.

Just holidayed in the south and took a day trip to the IOW for 29.50 return
car and up to 4 people. Yes just a day but almost a third of the normal
price.

Please reply to News Group.

Old August 15th 06, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"David" wrote in message
Anyone take thier car to NI?
A long drive to the shorter Scotish routes does not seem to give a saving
when you add the cost of petrol could be more than N. Wales/Liverpool
areas.
Is it best to book late or in advance like some airlines?
Anyone who can help please as it looks as if flying and hireing a car
would
be cheaper.
I need to make the trip but upset at the cost.

It IS very expensive. There are some offers but they've never seem to be at
the times we've wanted to go. Result? We don't go. We used to go at least
once a year.

Mary

Old August 15th 06, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Smudge Smith

P&O Irish web site quoted me 306 (with caravan) from Cairnyan to Larne and
back on a 5 day saver. I estimate a least two tanks of fuel 70 litres at
1per litre +140 minimum

Caravan and Camping Club originally quoted 308 (!) but then phoned me back
with 256.(I'm going this weekend)

Usual ticket for car only is around the 150 mark.

I don't think there is anything to be gained by advanced booking.

Fly /Hire is much cheaper but then you have to factor in the cost of your
accomodation but then at least you don't spend hours on the road. The A75
can be a long and lonely road, especially if you get stuck behind Farmer
Giles' tractor or Artics making their way to/from the ports.

Good thing about P&O is that they have never cancelled a ferry to my
knowledge due to bad weather. I regulalry travel from Northants to Antrim
but this is the first time with caravan.

A few years ago there was a service from Belfast to Fleetwood/Heysham
(SeaCat I think) but this service stopped soon after it started. Shame
really as it halved my driving distance against about 4 hours on the boat.
IIRC there was a fire on one of the boats and they were dry docked...never
to set sail again.

I tried the Holyhead to Dublin route once and then drove up to Belfast.
Didn't save much in round trip time and once at Dublin you still have
several hours drive up to the North. At least going via Scotland, when your
wheels are off the boat, you are there!

For an even more outrageous quote, have a look at Stena's webpage :-(

Old August 15th 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Smudge Smith" wrote in message
[...]

I've found ferries by Stena/P&O from Scotland which you mention, from
Fleetwood it is P&0. Also found Norfolk Line from Liverpool/Birkenhead.
Prices are similar and high.
I'm not taking caravan at this time.

Please reply to News Group.