Tow weights. Choosing a c/van

Old August 16th 06, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mike

Default Tow weights. Choosing a c/van

Hi Guys...

Just looking for a little advice, I have had a couple of Swift tourers
previously though it has been 15 years ago.

I've just bought myself a new Vauxhall Vectra Exlusive which I receive after the
new reg. Its just the 1.8i Hatchback version which dealers are doing a good
deal on at the moment. The vehicle has maximum towing rate of 1400Kg (braked
trailer) and will come with the towing kit already fitted.

My wife and I have already joined the CC (LOL... yes I know, but were keen to
get going..eheheh) and yes I know the Vectra may not be the best choice, but its
a matter of money etc. so obviously my choice for a caravan will need to be
carefully decided. I am looking at something fairly cheap around the 10K mark,
which brings the new Bailey's into consideration. I would prefer a 4 berth in
case one or both of the grandchildren accompany us.

What's the maximum weight you would advice taking safety into account I should
consider pulling, and are these cheapend Bailey's and Lunar's any good.
Any models you might advise I look at that I may pull with safety.
BTW I have checked out www.whattowcars.com but would still like a little first
hand advice if possible.

Many thanks.

Mike

Old August 16th 06, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

mike wrote:

[...]

First of all, forget Vauxhall's towing limit - apart from remembering that
it is illegal to exceed it. 1400Kg for a 1.8 hatchback is *wildly*
optimistic! OK, it might *tow* it under some ideal conditions concocted by
Vauxhall to make the figures look good - but the performance would by
abysmal. There's also stability to take into account - to make sure that the
tail doesn't wag the dog. You will see from your CC handbook that the
general rule of thumb is that the fully laden weight of the van should not
exceed 85% of the kerb (unladen) weight of the towcar. I don't know what the
kerb weight of your car is - but I'm pretty sure that it isn't as much as
the 1650Kg which it would need to be for 1400Kg to be 85%.

My advice would be to find a van which is not more than 1000Kg all up - if
you want to tow it without frightening yourself and without incurring the
wrath of all the other road users.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old August 16th 06, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
mike

mike wrote:

[...]

I am sure you are right Roger, the curb weight is only 1338Kg. Looks like I may
have to look at a few second hand light vans, as I notice they seem to weigh
much less, probably because they have less equipment.

Thanks again.

Mike